11-28-17 This is our last show of 2017! We go on our December break after this, and will return in January with new, fantastic shows!
To finish 2017, we will be talking with Steve Fletty, two time Meadmaker of the Year at the National Homebrew Competition, and a member of the St. Paul Homebrew Club in St. Paul, Minnesota. Fletty has also won two Minnesota State Fair Best of Show awards (for a Russian Imperial Stout and Saison), as well as 2009 Midwest Homebrewer of the Year. While he enjoys brewing beer and making cider, mead is his serious passion.
Fletty has been making mead since 2002, when he was introduced to it at a Beer Judge Certification Program study class. “Even though mead wasn’t yet a part of the exam, we did a mead tasting night with 60 meads, not kidding,” he said. “Most sucked, but two of them blew my mind. I thought, ‘I need to make that!’”
One was a mesquite chipotle mead—Fletty convinced the guy who made it to divulge his secrets, and he went on to win medals with his own version. The other was a commercial pyment (fermented with a blend of honey and grapes/grape juice). Fletty’s research and hard work to replicate it won him his first Meadmaker of the Year award in 2007. In 2016, he won his second honor as Meadmaker of the Year, in large part because of his Best of Show mead called Holy Cacao, a specialty mead made with cacao nibs, Dutch cocoa, and vanilla bean.
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Groenfell Meadery recipes and techniques
- Yeast: The Practical Guide to Beer Fermentation by Chris White
- UC Davis Honey Flavor Wheel
- Journal of Enolgy and Viticulture
- How to Brew – John Palmer
- The Flavor Bible
- Let There Be Melomels (on sale) by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes (on sale) by Rob Ratliff
- November 30 – Western Reserve Meadery – Chocolate Truffle Making with the Nom
- November 30 – Bos Meadery – Johnny Widdicombe
- December 1 – Superstition Meadery – Mead and Music at Ground Control
- December 2 – St. Ambrose Meadery – Whiskey Charmers
- December 3 – Starrlight Meadery – A Very Fairy Christmas
- December 7 – Colony Meadery – An Evening of Sweet Shimmies (Belly Dancing) with Carmen
- December 8 – 810 Meadworks – Christmas Pajama Party
- December 9 – Schramm’s Mead – Gala Holiday Party at Assaggi Bistro
- December 16 – Melovino Meadery – Ugly Sweater Party
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 2-13-18 AMMA Showcase: Greg Heller-LaBelle – TTB and Chrissie Zaerpoor – Mead and Food Pairing - February 13, 2018
- 2-6-18 AMMA Speaker Showcase – Carvin Wilson – Techniques for Fruit Additions in Meads - February 6, 2018
- 1/30/18 AMMA Speaker Showcase: Diane Currier – Honeygirl Meadery – Solopreneur, Going it Alone to Start a Meadery - January 30, 2018