4-24-18 we are yeast hunting today! Our guest is Luke Holcombe, with Scott Labs. Born and raised in California’s Central Valley, Luke grew up surrounded by wine grapes. This led him to pursue a degree at CalPoly, San Luis Obispo in Wine and Viticulture. Prior to joining Scott Laboratories, Luke was the Assistant Winemaker at McManis Family Vineyards in Ripon, California and Head Winemaker for Post Winery in Altus, Arkansas. He currently resides in Alma, Arkansas with his dog, Mr. Wilson.
Scott Laboratories Inc. (USA) and Scott Laboratories Ltd. (Canada) are privately held companies specializing in value added products for the North American wine, craft brewing and distilled spirits industries.
Their predecessor firm (the Berkeley Yeast Laboratory) was literally founded in the weeks prior to the end of Prohibition in 1933. The mission of the new company was to help customers produce better products for THEIR customers. Value added was a core principal then. It remains a core value eight decades later.
Their first products were lab services and yeast. In the years that followed the needs of the industry customers led them first to cellar supplies, then to packaging and finally into processing and bottling equipment. It has been an 80 year evolution driven by the concept of adding value.
Our current product portfolios include some of the most famous names in the wine, craft brewing and spirits industries. In some cases we have our own proprietary products (such as Sparkolloid and Scottzymes) while in other cases we work with partner firms.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Scott Lab Fermentation Handbook
- Biomass Content Governs Fermentation Rate in Nitrogen-Deficient Wine Must
- Sequential Use of Nitrogen Compounds by Saccharomyces cerevisiae during Wine Fermentation: a Model Based on Kinetic and Regulation Characteristics of Nitrogen Permeases
- Management of Multiple Nitrogen Sources during Wine Fermentation by Saccharomyces cerevisiae
- Wine secondary aroma: understanding yeast production of higher alcohols
- Metabolic and transcriptomic respond of the wine yeast Saccharomyces cerevisiae strain EC1118 after an oxygen impulse under carbon-sufficient, nitrogen-limited fermentative conditions
- Effect of low temperature fermentation and nitrogen content on wine yeast metabolism
- Why, When and How to Measure YAN
- Chemistry in Winemaking
- Fermentation Management Practices
- Altered Fermentation Performances, Growth, and Metabolic Footprints Reveal Competition for Nutrients between Yeast Species Inoculated in Synthetic Grape Juice-Like Medium
- Tailored Organic Nutrient Additions
- Speed Brewing by Mary Izett
- Danny Acevedo – Modern Mead Making Videos
- American Homebrewers Association
- The Flavor Bible
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- April 29 – Brothers’ Drake Mead – Wafflepalooza
- May 5 – B.Nektar – Spring Fest
- May 5 – California Honey Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 5-22-18 Adam Thompson – Machination Meadworks – the path to going pro - May 22, 2018
- 4-24-18 Luke Holcombe-Scott Labs - April 24, 2018
- 4-17-18 Alex Gonzalez – Honeypot Meadery-Southern California Mead Alliance-SoCal Mead Club - April 17, 2018