4-26-16 (Late Again!! I promise we’ll get ahead in the next series!)
Tonight we’re chatting with Ken Schultz, owner of Hidden Legend Winery in Victor, MT. This is a guy who did a high school science project on fermentation. *That* is dedication!! Ken has been making wine since the 70’s when he lived in Ohio. After moving to Montana a few years later, he discovered mead when a fortuitous bucket of crystallized honey was given to him.
After a stint in Papua, New Guinea to teach vocational programs, they tried their first mead when they got back and it was excellent. And from that the meadery sprang! Get the full story, listen to us on GML tonight at 9PM ET, and join in the fun!
On Making Good Mead – Back to Basics, AJ, Manny and Ryan are digging into hydrometers, ingredient quality and care and feeding of yeast. You’ll want to join in. We might even get Jon to stick around to join in!
9PM Eastern tonight!!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
What we were drinking:
- AJ –
- Vicky – Hidden Legend Apple Cyser
- Jon –
- Manny –
- Ryan –
Show links and notes:
- Golden Coast Meadery is starting a mead club! Go to http://www.goldencoastmead.com/mead-club to learn more
- B.Nektar Meadery has their Royal Jelly Bottle Club up and running. Find out more at http://www.bnektar.com/royal-jelly-bottle-club-details/
- Mead Mixology Mixer at the Atomic Fern in Durham, NC (my neck of the woods!) on April 27, from 6-8PM. The Atomic Fern 108 E Parrish St, Durham, North Carolina 27701. Come sample some new mixed drinks made with five different Honeygirl meads, and vote for your favorite. Vicky will be there April 20. The winning drink will go on the drink menu at Atomic Fern. $10 for five drink samples and one vote, per night. Voting will occur and the winner will be announced on 4/27. Vicky will be there, so stop on by!!
- Vahseer Meadery is having their grand opening on Thursday, April 28 @ 11AM at their location in Altavista, VA. This is an invitation only event, and it is being keynoted by the Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture. Visit vahseer.com to inquire about obtaining an invite, There will be tastings going on, a great chance to check out a new meadery!
- Leaky Roof Meadery is hosting a May Day Mead and Beer Fest, April 30 from 1-5 PM. There will be mead (of course!) and beer, and live music. This is also a bike show, and they will be judging bikes in several categories. Learn more at leakyroofmeadery.com/
- Mead Free or Die is April 30. This is one of the biggest mead competitions in the country, and a definite must do for any mead maker or professional meadery who wants to compete to attend. Check them out at meadfreeordie.com
- UC Davis Honey and Pollination Center has an upcoming event: http://honey.ucdavis.edu/events/honey-sensory-experience
Honey Sensory Experience – May 20-21
Two days featuring a survey of nature’s perfect sweet!
Taste Honeys from across the Globe!
The essential course for the professional buyer, importer, category manager, producer, packer or anyone who wants to gain expertise in the arena of honey analysis. Over two days, expert teachers will guide participants through a unique tasting and educational odyssey.
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 4-25-17 Australia Month Week 4 – Joel Robinson – Hunter and the Harp - April 25, 2017
- 4-18-17 Australia Week 3 – Sueann Allworden – Thistle Meadery - April 18, 2017
- 4-11-17 Australia Week 2 – Sean Johnson – Erosion Meadery - April 11, 2017