6-12-18 Tonight we’re hanging out with Raphael Lyon, owner of Enlightenment Wines in Brooklyn, NY.
Enlightenment Wines started out as a small part time farm winery in 2009 by Raphael Lyon. In 2015 Lyon reached out to Anthony Rock and Arley Marks with the intent to join forces and grow Enlightenment Wines into a full scale production meadery with a tasting room and cocktail bar in Brooklyn New York.
Enlightenment is a little different from many meaderies, in that they are heavily focused on ‘natural’ or ‘wild’ meadmaking. They work with wild yeasts, unfiltered honey, and local herbs to create unique meads that Arley also mixes into signature cocktails that he has developed and serves at Enlightenment’s bar, ‘Honeys’. Their honey is diluted with well water and combined with various botanicals, fruit or fruit juices that are available locally and seasonally, and then fermented in wood barrels until there are no sugars remaining. In some cases they ferment in stainless steel or glass. They primarily use wild yeast that already exists on the fruits and in their honey.
The wild, or ‘natural’ wine/mead making movement has been gaining popularity lately, and you can read more about it in this article.
Contact them at email@example.com
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
9PM EDT/6PM PDT
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Danny Acevedo – Modern Mead Making Videos
- The Flavor Bible
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- June 16 – Groennfell Meadery – Asian Influence – A Traditional Renaissance Feast
- June 18 – Superstition Mead vs Bottle Logic Pairing (a Mikkeller event at Mikkeller bar NTDA)
- June 24 – Rabbits Foot Meadery – Guided Mead and Cheese Pairing
- August 4-5 – B.NektarPalooza – International Beer, Cider and Mead Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 4-23-19 Gary Gordon – Breaking Brew Meadery – Texas - April 23, 2019
- 4-16-19 – Steve Patik on Braggots - April 16, 2019
- 4-2-19 Scot Schaar and Bob Slanzi – Polish Mead (and Polish Passports) - April 2, 2019