7-12-16 – Today we’re talking with David and Maciej, owners of Arktos Meadery in Grand Rapids, MI. They have 7 meads right now, including a pumpkin mead (that one caught my eye!!
Maciej is a Navy veteran who became fascinated with mead. David was his roommate, also into mead. They decided to start a meadery together.
They use all Michigan honey, and strive to use all natural products. Their dream is to open a Mead Hall as they grow.
David and Teresa (David’s wife) were recently featured in “Tiny House, Big Living” on HGTV for their tiny home in Grand Haven, MI.
On Back to Basics, we’re talking about ‘When Your Mead Goes Wrong’. If you’ve ever had a mead go weird, turn into vinegar, burn dry when it was supposed to be sweet, turn up tasting like gasoline or anything else, then we’ll be talking about it. Join us at 9PM ET tonight!
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Join us, 9PM Eastern Tuesday night!!
Note: We lost the broadcast at about 10:36 due to nasty storms in the area, but are recording offline, and will post the updated recording Wednesday July 13 after I’ve had time to splice the live and recorded sessions.
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
What we were drinking:
- AJ – Chateau Chevette Lemon tea braggot
- Vicky – Misbeehavin’ Mead Strawbery Mead
- Manny –
- David –
- Maciej –
Show links and notes:
- Starrlight Meadery
- July 29th – International Tiger Day! In honor of that day, for the month of July we will be helping out our friends over at Carolina Tiger Rescue! For each tasting or glass of sangria that we sell during the month, we’ll donate $2 to the Tiger Rescue
- July 22 – Mead and a Sunset Cruise – Friday, July 22 – Join us, and Captain Don from Triangle Boat Tours, for one of our favorite outings – mead tasting and a 2 hour sunset cruise on Jordan Lake.
- Bos Meadery – multiple artistic events – check in on their calendar for movie nights, art displays and more!
- June 29 – Rashamon – A riveting psychological thriller that investigates the nature of truth and the meaning of justice, Rashomon is widely considered onevcof the greatest films ever made.
- July 9 – Daniel Mortensen – Daniel Mortensen has been playing guitar and harp for over 30 years to illustrious audiences such as His Dog and The Sofa.
- July 14 – Cam and Ellie Kennedy – presentations of original songs and selected covers, and their sound is filled with great voices, acoustic guitars, and multiple layers.
- July 15 – Matt Deblass – An evening of acoustic folk music performed with Celtic harp, voice, mandolin and other instruments.
- Mace Meadworks at macemeadworks.com has live music every Saturday night at 250 East Main Street Dayton, Washington 99328
- B.Nektar Events:
- July 9th – Detroit Beer Book – Author signing at the B. Nekar Taproom
- July 15th-17th – Pig & Whiskey Event in Ferndale
- July 15th – *Tasting event* D. Schulers in Wyoming, MI
- July 16th – Motor City Furry Con event – An evening at B. Nektar
- July 19th – #WeAreOrlando Fundraiser at the B. Nektar Taproom (50% of sales to be donated to the Pulse Victims Fund)
- July 22nd-23rd – Michigan Summer Beer Fest in Ypsilanti
- July 22nd – *Tasting event* Mega Bev in Kalamazoo
- July 23rd – *Tasting event* Under The Vines in Grand Rapids
- July 29th – Corks For Conservation at Binder Park Zoo in Battle Creek
- July 19 – Charm City Meadworks – Tap takeover at Das Bier Haus
- July 23 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival – Eastsound, WA
- National Mead Day – Aug 6
- Brothers Drake Meadery – ongoing concert events
- California Master Beekeeping Course – Sept 11 and 18
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 6-19-18 To Brew Lists, Mistakes We’ve Learned From | Fred Minnick – author of Mead: The Libations, Legends and Lore and speaker on Mead Cocktails - June 19, 2018
- 6-12-18 Raphael Lyon – Enlightenment Wines – Making Natural (Wild) Meads - June 12, 2018
- 6-5-18 Ryan’s Rants – Balancing Your Mead - June 5, 2018