9-27-16 – Our guest tonight is Amy Hasle with HoneyRun Winery in Chico, California. HoneyRun has been around for a while, since 1992. The meadery is the result of a beekeeper and a lover of honey meeting. Amy likes to say she ‘married into the mead industry’.
They make several excellent meads, with a lean into melomels. We’re looking forward to hearing more about what they have, and what they’re up to!
She’ll be sticking around to talk with us about berry melomels in Back to Basics, with myself, AJ, Manny and Hamish. Come join us to talk mead!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
What we were drinking:
- AJ –
- Vicky – Nani Moon Meadery Coco Loco
- Manny –
- Amy –
Show links and notes
Tasting notes from Amy from Honeyrun:
- Steam clams and mussels in it.
- Saute shrimp and scallops with Mead, butter, and garlic, then serve with chilled Dry Mead.
- Pairs deliciously with very tangy bbq ribs
- Add some to saute mushrooms
- Age it for 6 years and drink it like port, or add a little blackberry or grape brandy to make your own fortified port version
- Have a slice of intense deep chocolate cake? Drizzle some Elderberry Honeywine over it and see if you like it. (Maybe dunk it first to check)
- Also great with chocolate, cheesecake, soft mild cheeses, fruit spritzers
- Poach pears in it, then add a ball of goat cheese to the hole, then sprinkle with pumpkin pie spice. Make a reduction sauce and have fun.
- Soak dark chicken in it overnight. Grill it on the barbecue. It is surprisingly good.
- Great with dark chocolate, cheesecake, the bath tub, a beach.
- Make spritzers, sangria, or blender drinks
- Get a pitcher, pour in a bottle of Blackberry Honeywine, add enough plain soda water to make it bubbly, squeeze in lime slices. Serve with 4 or 5 long straws and no glasses. A fun bonding experience.
- Put equal parts of ice and strawberries in the blender. Pour Blackberry Honeywine enough to cover the ice and berries. Blend it up. This is great on the weekdays, because you can relax, but you get hydrated and full before you can get snockered.
- Also good added to saute mushrooms – go easy on it.
Spicy Hot Pepper Mead:
- Serve with fettuccine alfredo, or turkey sandwiches, or tacos.
- Add it to white sauce for some zing. How about with or in the macaroni and cheese? We are busting things open here.
- Starrlight Mead – many upcoming events
- Blacksnake Mead – several upcoming events
- Great Society Cider and Mead – several upcoming events
- Mace Meadworks at macemeadworks.com has live music every Saturday night at 250 East Main Street Dayton, Washington 99328
- Brothers Drake Meadery – ongoing concert events
- Oran Mor Artisan Mead – several upcoming events
- Orpheus Mead Fest – Colorado – Oct 1
- Gulf Coast Mead Festival – Oct 29
- Honey Moon Mead and Cider House – Oct 31 – Dead Musicians Open Mic Party
- Eltham and District Winemakers Guild Wine and Mead Show
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 4-25-17 Australia Month Week 4 – Joel Robinson – Hunter and the Harp - April 25, 2017
- 4-18-17 Australia Week 3 – Sueann Allworden – Thistle Meadery - April 18, 2017
- 4-11-17 Australia Week 2 – Sean Johnson – Erosion Meadery - April 11, 2017