This recipe is loosely based on wayneb’s Christmas Spiced Metheglin with a BOMM twist. I believe credit should be given where it is due.
I wanted something Christmas-sy (it’s a word now) quick, so here we go:
Christmas Spice BOMM
- 1 tsp Ancient Forest black tea
- 1 tsp Yerba Mate
- 1/4 stick cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp mace
- 2 pieces china ginger
- 2 allspice berries
- 1 clove
- 1/4 whole nutmeg
- 1/8 star anise
- 1/8 star anise seed (not the same)
- 3 lbs orange blossom honey
- 1.5 cups apple cider
- 2 cuties (clementines) (juice and peels but no pith)
- 3/4 tsp DAP 3 additions of 1/4 tsp
- 1.5 tsp Fermaid K 3 additions of 1/2 tsp
- 1/2 tsp K2CO3 (Potassium Carbonate)
- 1 gallon spring water
- 1 pack Wyeast 1388 Activate 1-2 hours before pitch.
- 1 vanilla bean Add whole.
- Start by making 2 cups of tea using all the spices down to the anise seed
- Let it brew on the spice for about an hour, then strain through a French press and add to carboy.
- Add 3 lbs orange blossom honey to a one gallon carboy.
- Add 1.5 cups apple cider.
- Add the juice of 2 cuties and peels without the pith.
- Add 1/4 tsp DAP and 1/2 tsp of Fermaid K. (I'll add these again at 2/3 (1.08) & 1/3 (1.04) sugar break.)
- Add 1/2 tsp K2CO3. One time addition. Increased the amount to compensate for the acidity of the fruit juice.
- Add spring water to a 1/2 cup shy of one gallon.
- Add a slurry of Wyeast 1388.
- Add one vanilla bean after primary fermentation is over (SG 1.000-1.005).
- Cold crash after a week.
- Bottle with carbonation drops (1 per 250 ml).
- Allow to carbonate 1-2 weeks until slightly carbonated. Enjoy chilled on Christmas!
Latest posts by Bray Denard (see all)
- The Newbee Guide to Making Mead – Chapter 2:Honey - April 15, 2020
- The NewBee Guide to Making Mead – Chapter 6: The Basic Recipe - June 6, 2019
- The NewBee Guide to Making Mead – Chapter 5: Terminology and Calculations - June 6, 2019