Sergio opened Melovino just over 5 years ago, and during that time he’s learned a ton about operating a meadery, making better mead and what people like in a mead. He’s wrangled with his state to allow meaderies to even exist, and juggled the need for space to expand with the reality of how hard it can be to find an ideal location for the meadery.
He’s also been very active in working on growing the AMMA and what it can do to help the mead community, both home and professional.
Sergio is speaking at MeadCon 2020 (get your tickets, hotel and see the schedule there!), his talk is ‘What I’ve Learned in Five Years’. We’re going to delve into various issues with running a meadery, tease you on some of what he’ll be talking about, and dig into some of the other things facing a meadmaker going pro.
We’ll also be talking about his collaborations, one of with is with yours truly, and exploring different mead styles. And we’ll likely talk pyments as well, Sergio loves them!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- January 21 – Tony Qualls – Big Berry Melomels
- January 28 – Laura Angotti (keynote at MeadCon) – Mead and Historical Recipes
- February 4 – Keith Seitz – National Honey Board
- February 18 – Marina Marchese – Honey Sommelier
Show links and notes
- Walkers Wine Juice
- Tavelon Tea
- Winestix oak sticks
- Wine Folly Master Guide
- Scott Labs 2019 Yeast Book
- Scott Labs searchable yeast selection
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Are You Afraid of the Rum: And Other Cocktails for 90’s Kids by Sam Slaughter
We’ll be posting the upcoming schedule here as we get guests set up!
- January 16 – Brothers Drake Meadery, Columbus, OH – Ecology on Tap: Disease and Vector Biology
- January 19 – Beecraft Mead Company, Dawsonville, GA – Make Your Own Sweet Mead
- January 22 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Beer and Mead Pairing Event with Giant Jones Brewing
- January 25 – Starrlight Mead, Pittsboro, NC – Namaste Meadieval – Yoga and Mead
- January 25 – Chubby Cheeks Meadery, Temecula, CA – Meaditation and Yoga
- January 25 – Threadbare Cider and Mead, Pittsburgh, PA – Adopt a Bunny event
- February 1 – Chubby Cheeks Meadery, Temecula, CA – Mead Making Workshop
- February 7 – Haley’s Honey Meadery, Hopewell, VA – Junior Wilson Live
- February 7-9 – Earle Estates Meadery, Seneca Lake area, NY – Chocolate and Wine tour
- February 9 – Grimsby Hollow Meadery, Middleville, MI – Drink Mead Learn Things – Open Dungeons and Dragons
- February 15 – Meduseld Meadery, Lancaster, PA – Rose and Shamrock Festival
- February 15 – Meadery Bus Tour, Detroit, MI – visiting Schramm’s Mead, B.Nektar Mead and Kuhnhenn Brewery and Meadery
- February 22 – Strad Meadery, Cordoba, CA – Paint and Sip class
- February 23 – Threadbare Cider and Mead, Pittsburgh, PA – Koji and Tempeh Master Class
- March 17 – MeadCon Meadery Open Houses at Queen Bee Meadery (Denver) and Honnibrook Meadery (Castle Rock)
- March 18-19 – MeadCon 2020, Broomfield, CO – 2 days of seminars and the MeadUp mead tasting event
- March 20-21 – Mazer Cup International Mead Competition and Mead Mixer Tasting Event (March 20)
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 2-18-20 C. Marina Marchese – MeadCon Speaker – Honey Evaluation and Sensory Analysis - February 18, 2020
- 2-4-20 Keith Seiz, MeadCon Speaker – National Honey Board and mead - February 4, 2020
- 1-28-20 Laura Angotti, MeadCon Keynote – the history of mead and historic recipes - January 28, 2020