Tony is not just a meadery owner, he’s also a musician. He toured in the band Groovatron for 12 years, doing over 1500 shows in 12 years (makes me tired just thinking about all that travel!).
Tony is a lifelong entrepreneur, having run a vinyl record company, painting company and a bunch of other businesses. Plus he’s a skilled tradesman in welding and carpentry (that would help with build out!).
Tony has been married to his lovely wife Vanessa for 12 years, and they have two kids. Not to sit on his laurels, Tony plans to pursue law school and recording backlogs of musical material while running his meadery (getting tired again, lol). He likes to mountain bike and ride his motorcycle in his free time (he has free time?).
Tony co-founded Manic Meadery with Keith Cantwell in 2018 in Crown Point, Indiana. Manic is a small batch meadery, and they also do wine and cider. They’ve gotten a lot of interest in their sweet dessert meads using whole fruit and often multiple adjuncts. Tony is also a BJCP mead judge, and holder of Mazer Cup awards for both home and commercial mead. The plans for Manic in 2020 include increasing self distribution, expanding their production space, and organizing a mead-only festival, the Sugarbelt Mead Fest.
We’re going to talk mead and melomels, and dig into some of the ideas around creating berry bombs.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- January 28 – Laura Angotti (keynote at MeadCon) – Mead and Historical Recipes
- February 4 – Keith Seitz – National Honey Board
- February 18 – Marina Marchese – Honey Sommelier
Show links and notes
- Heat stabilizing white wine
- Wine Folly Master Guide
- Scott Labs 2019 Yeast Book
- Scott Labs searchable yeast selection
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- January 22 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Beer and Mead Pairing Event with Giant Jones Brewing
- January 25 – Starrlight Mead, Pittsboro, NC – Namaste Meadieval – Yoga and Mead
- January 25 – Chubby Cheeks Meadery, Temecula, CA – Meaditation and Yoga
- January 25 – Threadbare Cider and Mead, Pittsburgh, PA – Adopt a Bunny event
- February 1 – Chubby Cheeks Meadery, Temecula, CA – Mead Making Workshop
- February 7 – Haley’s Honey Meadery, Hopewell, VA – Junior Wilson Live
- February 7-9 – Earle Estates Meadery, Seneca Lake area, NY – Chocolate and Wine tour
- February 9 – Grimsby Hollow Meadery, Middleville, MI – Drink Mead Learn Things – Open Dungeons and Dragons
- February 15 – Meduseld Meadery, Lancaster, PA – Rose and Shamrock Festival
- February 15 – Meadery Bus Tour, Detroit, MI – visiting Schramm’s Mead, B.Nektar Mead and Kuhnhenn Brewery and Meadery
- February 22 – Strad Meadery, Cordoba, CA – Paint and Sip class
- February 23 – Threadbare Cider and Mead, Pittsburgh, PA – Koji and Tempeh Master Class
- March 17 – MeadCon Meadery Open Houses at Queen Bee Meadery (Denver) and Honnibrook Meadery (Castle Rock)
- March 18-19 – MeadCon 2020, Broomfield, CO – 2 days of seminars and the MeadUp mead tasting event
- March 20-21 – Mazer Cup International Mead Competition and Mead Mixer Tasting Event (March 20)
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!