1-22-19 We’re off and running this year with featuring people who will be speaking at the AMMA Meadcon March 12-14. Tonight we’re talking with Tom Repas (we had a schedule change, and Steve Patik will be on next week). Tom is a master beekeeper who speaks all over the country, AMMA Meadmaker of the Year 2018, winner of many medals, including two Mazer Cup Best of Show awards (2015 and 2017) and 14 cups, farmer, doctor, and all around great guy.
We’re going to talk a little about his upcoming Meadcon seminars on Acids in Mead, and Mead Flaws and Faults, so we’ll get into that a little (can’t do it all, you can head to the Meadcon and hear him in detail! We’ll also be talking some about carbonation of mead, a popular topic with meadmakers.
Got questions? Definitely let us know by sending us a DM from facebook.com/gotmead, on Twitter @gotmeadnow, or dropping it into our live chat (link below).
Click the chat link to join us in the live conversation during the show.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online!
9PM EDT/6PM PDT
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- ScotLabs Sparkling Handbook
- ‘Recent Advances in the Science of Champagne Bubbles‘, Gerard Liger-belair, Chemical Society Reviews, Volume 47, Number 11, November 2008, pages 2361-2580.
- BJCP – for information on mead styles and faults and flaws
- Meads and Their Lactones: A Cautionary Tale for Mead Makers by Dan McFeely, “Bee Culture”, September 2002
- An Analysis of Mead, Mead Making and the Role of its Primary Constituents (reprinted with permission from the authors), Daniel S. McConnell and Kenneth D. Schramm* Technical Director, G.W.Kent and President, The Yeast Culture Kit Company *Director, The Mazer Cup Mead Competition
- Yeast Inoculation Strategies – Getting The Best Fermentation Possible!, Lallemand, Winemaking Update, Number 2, 2005
- Raisins are NOT a Significant Source of Nutrients in Mead, Tom Repas, BJCP Certified Mead Judge, Certified Master Beekeeper (University of Montana 2016)
Mazer Cup International, Home Best of Show Winner 2015 & 2017, AMMA Meadmaker of the Year 2018, pub. Sept. 3, 2017
- Advanced Nutrients in Meadmaking, Travis Blount-Elliot, May, 2018
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- January 23 – Starrlight Meadery – Bridal Open House
- January 25-26 UC Davis Honey and Pollination Institute – Meadmaking 101
- January 26 – Hermit Woods Deli and Winery – Wine and Cheese Pairing
- February 7 – Bos Meadery – Mead to Laugh, a Comedy Showcase
- February 16 – Black’s Fairy Meadery – Brazos Fest of the West
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-26-19 Amy Olsen and Annie Zipser – Michigan Mead Alliance, making mead, and mead talk - November 26, 2019
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019