1-29-19 Tonight we’re bringing in another speaker for the AMMA Meadcon.Steve Patik lives in Colorado with his wife and two daughters. He found a passion for Mead over a Thanksgiving table in 2012 and year later decided to try his hand at making this amazing beverage. For over 5 years, Steve has been making mead and doing so in some unconventional, yet successful, ways. Steve rarely has a mead that is older than six months and he has won awards for mead that was only 6 weeks old. As a successful amateur Mead maker, Steve consistently shows his talent at competitions locally and nationally by taking a place or even a Best of Show once in a while. The meads Steve enjoys making the most are traditionals and braggots.
So, what is his secret? Steve believes in the marriage of best practices, modern techniques and top shelf ingredients.
Steve is teaming up with our own Ryan Carlson to speak at the Meadcon. The Yeast Test Comparison seminar is a presentation of the results of the same mead recipe, split into 15 batches and fermented with 15 different yeast strains. This will illustrate the variations that yeast can bring to your mead. The mead will be made with Star Thistle honey, and dosed with the appropriate amounts of nutrients to ensure healthy yeast growth. This seminar will feature tasting of the 15 meads, and the top 10 mead variations will be tallied.
Steve is coming on tonight to talk a little with Ryan about what they are doing, and we’re going to talk mead shop about methods and making. Give us a call, or join us in chat to join the conversation!
Got questions? Definitely let us know by sending us a DM from facebook.com/gotmead, on Twitter @gotmeadnow, or dropping it into our live chat (link below).
Click the chat link to join us in the live conversation during the show.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online!
9PM EDT/6PM PDT
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Tupelo Honey for $375 for 5 gallons
- ScotLabs Sparkling Handbook
- ‘Recent Advances in the Science of Champagne Bubbles‘, Gerard Liger-belair, Chemical Society Reviews, Volume 47, Number 11, November 2008, pages 2361-2580.
- BJCP – for information on mead styles and faults and flaws
- Meads and Their Lactones: A Cautionary Tale for Mead Makers by Dan McFeely, “Bee Culture”, September 2002
- An Analysis of Mead, Mead Making and the Role of its Primary Constituents (reprinted with permission from the authors), Daniel S. McConnell and Kenneth D. Schramm* Technical Director, G.W.Kent and President, The Yeast Culture Kit Company *Director, The Mazer Cup Mead Competition
- Yeast Inoculation Strategies – Getting The Best Fermentation Possible!, Lallemand, Winemaking Update, Number 2, 2005
- Raisins are NOT a Significant Source of Nutrients in Mead, Tom Repas, BJCP Certified Mead Judge, Certified Master Beekeeper (University of Montana 2016)
Mazer Cup International, Home Best of Show Winner 2015 & 2017, AMMA Meadmaker of the Year 2018, pub. Sept. 3, 2017
- Advanced Nutrients in Meadmaking, Travis Blount-Elliot, May, 2018
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- January 31 – Bos Meadery – Tent Show Troubadors
- February 2 – Blom Meadery – Euchre Tournament
- February 7 – Bos Meadery – Mead to Laugh, a Comedy Showcase
- February 14 – Wild Blossom Meadery – Make Your Love Wine for Valentines
- February 16 – Black’s Fairy Meadery – Brazos Fest of the West
- February 23 – Valhalla Meadery – Mead-Ieval Fund Raiser
- March 3 – Heidrun Meadery – Crabfest
- March 12-14 – American Mead Makers Association MeadCon and Trade Show
- March 14-16 – Mazer Cup International Mead Competition and Mead Mixer Mead Tasting
- March 30 – Starrlight Mead – Intermediate Mead Making Class
- July 27 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 3-31-19 Peter Bakulic – Talking Mead - March 31, 2020
- Support Meaderies During CoronaVirus – Where to Get Mead Online and Pickup - March 17, 2020
- 3-3-20 Steve Patik – MeadCon speaker on Braggots (and other meadly things) - March 3, 2020