1-5-21 We survived 2020! Here’s to hoping 2021 will see the world getting back to normal. We’re starting this year with what else, honey! We have Evan Himes, who is with Dutch Gold Honey in Lancaster, PA.
We’ll be talking about things like COVID impacts on the honey market in 2020 vs 2021, the evolution of commercial beekeeping – Honey Labeling at retail, honey adulteration and testing, and things like local sourcing, honey crystallization and anything else we come across with questions from listeners and that we come up with as we talk with Evan.
Evan is a member of the Sales & Marketing Team at family-owned honey packer, Dutch Gold Honey, Inc. With a focus on ingredient sales, he uses his exposure to the wholesale honey market and his prior life experience with handling bulk ingredients in a startup wholesale bakery operation to support honey (and maple syrup) customers of all sizes.
Evan prepares and delivers tailored technical presentations to mixed groups of marketing, purchasing, operations, quality assurance, and R&D food industry professionals using his degree and first career as a high school mathematics teacher. A man of multiple hats, he also manages marketing project for Dutch Gold.
In his free time, Evan serves in the Army National Guard, remains dedicated to health and fitness, and is dedicated to health and fitness. He enjoys living in Columbia, PA and spending time with his wife Sarah.
Come hear Evan talk honey, and we’ll have tons of questions for him!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- January 19 – Margot Phelps and the lady meadmakers at Ancient Fire Meadery
Show links and notes
- Top, Middle and Base Notes: A Comprehensive List
- The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual – James Green and Ajana
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- Feb 6 – Domras Cup, Savannah, GA – third round of judging
- Feb 22 – Group Brew Day (online) set up by Michael Jordan
- Feb 27-28 – Vermont Winter Renaissance Faire, Essex, VT- Artesano Mead, Groenfell Meadery and Sticky Paws Meadery will be pouring there
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!