1-7-20 We’re back from our December break, and off with a bang! Join us at 9PM Eastern tonight for the first 2020 episode of GotMead Live.
Tonight’s guest is Carvin Wilson, mead maker, mead industry supporter, and owner of Carvin Software. If you haven’t heard of Carvin, you’re not hanging out with mead folk. Carvin, who lives near Phoenix, AZ, is a long time mead maker, started getting involved nationwide with the mead scene several years ago.
Carvin makes incredibly well done mead. Like amazing. (At some point I’m going to see about doing a trade deal with him, once the meads I’m working on are finished). He’s taken quite a few medals at competitions all over the country.
Carvin is a committed home mead maker, and pictures of the fermenters all over his home (and the laughing protestations of his lovely wife Robin to clear the table so they can do a dinner) prove this out.
Carvin has presented both himself and as part of panels at the AMMA MeadCon, and is a member of the Home Governing Committee at the AMMA, and is managing the AMMA MeadMaker of the Year . He’s on the American Homebrewers Association Governing Committee, and took over running the Mazer Cup Home Competition this year.
So yeah, this guy is into mead. Kinda.
Tonight we’re rambling on a lot of things, like the Mazer Cup competition, the AMMA Meadmaker of the Year, the AHA, Mead Judging, Meadcon, Mead growth and trends and of course, talking mead and taking mead making questions.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Wine Folly Master Guide
- Scott Labs 2019 Yeast Book
- Scott Labs searchable yeast selection
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Are You Afraid of the Rum: And Other Cocktails for 90’s Kids by Sam Slaughter
We’ll be posting the upcoming schedule here as we get guests set up!
- January 9 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Shotgun Mary in concert
- January 9 – Oran Mor Artisan Mead, Roseburg, OR – Open Mic Night
- January 10 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Rictus Grin, The Earthlings and Squidhammer Metal
- January 10 – Grimsby Hollow Meadery, Middleville, MI – Drink Mead, Learn Things, German Medieval Armory
- January 14 – McMinnville Mead Hall, McMinnville, OR – Dancing Date Night with Dancing in the Rain
- January 19 – Beecraft Mead Company, Dawsonville, GA – Make Your Own Sweet Mead
- January 25 – Starrlight Mead, Pittsboro, NC – Namaste Meadieval – Yoga and Mead
- January 25 – Chubby Cheeks Meadery, Temecula, CA – Meaditation and Yoga
- February 1 – Chubby Cheeks Meadery, Temecula, CA – Mead Making Workshop
- February 7 – Haley’s Honey Meadery, Hopewell, VA – Junior Wilson Live
- February 7-9 – Earle Estates Meadery, Seneca Lake area, NY – Chocolate and Wine tour
- February 15 – Meduseld Meadery, Lancaster, PA – Rose and Shamrock Festival
- February 15 – Meadery Bus Tour, Detroit, MI – visiting Schramm’s Mead, B.Nektar Mead and Kuhnhenn Brewery and Meadery
- February 22 – Strad Meadery, Cordoba, CA – Paint and Sip class
- February 23 – Threadbare Cider and Mead, Pittsburgh, PA – Koji and Tempeh Master Class
- March 17 – MeadCon Meadery Open Houses at Queen Bee Meadery (Denver) and Honnibrook Meadery (Castle Rock)
- March 18-19 – MeadCon 2020, Broomfield, CO – 2 days of seminars and the MeadUp mead tasting event
- March 20-21 – Mazer Cup International Mead Competition and Mead Mixer Tasting Event (March 20)
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!