10-1-19 – Tonight we’re back in mead building mode again, and have Ryan back to talk about picking the yeast and honey and other ingredients to achieve specific flavor profiles. This is continuing from last week’s discussion.
Get your questions in to us! Post on Facebook or Twitter, or join us on the chat channel tonight!
We all have the flavors and tastes we like, and it’s different for everyone. Too much for one is not enough for another. Yeast and honey contribute a fair amount to what you end up with, and what you start with may not be where your mead finishes, flavor-wise.
There are tons of ideas out there: fermenting temperatures, to stir or not to stir, what to add at what point in the fermentation, like fruit in primary or secondary, spices in primary or secondary, toss in spices whole/crushed, do them as tea, or as extracts or tisanes.
How long do you leave them in, and how to figure out what it will end up as?
We’re going to talk about what/when/why, and how you can get your mead to have the flavors you’d like it to end up with.
Join us on the show, and on the chat, and if you’ve something you’d like us to work on, let us know!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Scott Labs 2019 Yeast Book
- Scott Labs searchable yeast selection
- Sure lie and Bâtonnage (lees contact and stirring)
- Sur Lie additive
- SO2 Management
- SO2 Management Protocols
- Acuvin Quick SO2 test
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Black Swan Barrels (exotic woods)
- Ethiopian Spice Market (for gesho)
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Are You Afraid of the Rum: And Other Cocktails for 90’s Kids by Sam Slaughter
- Oct 2 – Wild Blossom Meadery – Sip and Bark
- Oct 2 – Honnibrook Meadery – Neils BBQ Food Truck at the meadery
- Oct 3 – Folklore Brewing – Pints and Paints – Dothan, AL
- Oct 3 – Bos Meadery – Mead to Laugh, Pumpkin Spice Edition
- Oct 4 – Honey Girl Meadery – Fall Fridays – Cheese Pairing
- Oct 5-6 and 12-13 – Stonekeep Meadery – Artisan Wine and Cheese pairing weekends
- Oct 6 – Starrlight Mead – 29th Annual A Tasteful Affair
- Oct 6 – House Bear Brewing – Game night
- Oct 6 – Great Kiwi Mead Group – First ever New Zealand Mead Up at Remuera in Auckland – Contact Adam via the link here
- Oct 8 – Meduseld Meadery – The Saga of Ragnar Lothbrook – light fare, mead and music
- Oct 11 – Rushford Meadery and Winery – Card Making Technique Class
- Oct 12 – Etowah Meadery – Etowah Turns 2!
- Oct 12 – Honey Pot Meadery – Batch 2 of Bruiseberry releases
- Oct 16 – Threadbare Cider and Mead – Fall Owl Cafe to benefit Human Animal Rescue
- Oct 18 – Woodstone Creek Winery and Distillery – Friday Night Flight – Wine, Mead and Spirits
- Oct 18 – Toledo Cider Fest – Crafted Artisan Meadery and Four Fires Meadery will be there
- OCt 18 – House Bear Brewing – Paint Night
- Oct 19 – Texas Mead Fest
- Oct 19 – Michigan Mead Cup
- Oct 19 – Starrlight Meadery – Beginning Home Mead Making Class
- Oct 25 – B. Nektar Meadery – Stranger Things Themed Trivia Night
- Oct 26-27 Festina Lente – Hallow-Wine treats
- Oct 26 – Haley’s Honey Meadery – Wicked Halloween Party
- Nov 5 – Orchid Cellars – Guided Mead Tasting event
- Nov 27 – Brothers Drake Meadery – Jazz Wednesday with Ryan Folger
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019
- 10-8-19 Adam Crockett on oaking, barrels and making mead in Pét Nat style - October 8, 2019