10-24-17 We’re baaaaccckkkk! We took a 2 week break, and are back talking mead, this week with Jason Todd Phelps, owner of Ancient Fire Mead and Cider, and award winning mead maker.
Jason has been around the block for many many years and has won countless awards with all things fermented. It seems fitting that tonight we should talk about cysers since it’s apple season in many parts of the US. Cysers are mead made with apples. As simplistic as this sounds, in my opinion this is one of the more difficult categories in mead making. So many factors need to come together at just the right point to have a great, well balanced, complex cyser that can go well beyond a fermented Martinelli’s. So it’s a privilege to hear from Jason tonight on his approach to making award winning cysers.
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- The Flavor Bible
- Riesling Sugar Profile
- Cider Handbook
- Removing hydrogen sulfide
- Great cyser yeast
- Meadmakr’s Batch Calculator
- TOSNA Protocol – http://www.meadmaderight.com
- Rousing your yeast
- Joe Vinceguerra’s Stabilization spreadsheet
- SO2 Management on MoreWine
- Weird Wine Flavors and the Science Behind Them
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- October 26 – Honey Girl Meadery – Mead Tasting and Pie!
- October 27 – Brothers Drake Meadery – Halloween Party and music
- October 28-29 Starrlight Meadery – Mead-o-ween weekend
- October 28 – Brimming Horn Mead – It’s the Great Mead Hall…O’Ween, Charlie Brown
- October 28 – Folklore Brewing and Meadery – Costume Party
- October 28 – Swan Neck Meadery and Winery – Halloween Party
- October 28 – Melovino Meadery – First ever Halloween Party
- October 29 – Oran Mor Artisan Mead – Halloween Carnival and Masked Ball with Hat Trick
- October 31 – Rabbit’s Food Meadery – Annual Halloween Party
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 10-8-19 Adam Crockett on oaking, barrels and making mead in Pét Nat style - October 8, 2019
- 10-1-19 Ryan Carlson – Creating recipes to a flavor profile – part 2 - October 1, 2019
- 9-24-19 Ryan Carlson – Creating recipes to a flavor profile - September 24, 2019