10-29-19 We’re back after a break due to some scheduling conflicts. Tonight we’re talking with Sergio Moutela, owner of Melovino Meadery and President of the American Mead Makers Association. He is also the guy who created the TOSNA protocol for mead making which he hosts on Mead Made Right. And he’s launched a mead podcast that is excellent. which you can listen to on the MMR website.
You can tell Sergio has been up to a lot of mead stuff, and he never seems to slow down. We’re not even sure he sleeps! Melovino is possibly the fastest growing meadery in the country, and was the first meadery in New Jersey. This year was 5 years open, and Sergio now has a Mead Bar where he serves a constantly rotating list of session meads. Much to the chagrin to those of us who can’t get up there to try them, lol. You can’t get these shipped, they are Mead Bar only offerings.
Sergio is also active in working to change alcoholic beverage laws in NJ, and has been instrumental in getting his state to change the laws to make it easier for meaderies to start and operate.
One of the fun things he’s been doing is trying lots of interesting recipes, many of which end up on the Mead Made Right recipe database. He has a pretty good (and in some ways twisted) imagination and comes up with a lot of really tasty meads. They’re certainly flying out of the meadery and off the shelves!
Tonight we’re going to talk about pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipe creation, and also about a couple surprises! Join us to check it out. See you tonight!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Wine Folly Master Guide
- Scott Labs 2019 Yeast Book
- Scott Labs searchable yeast selection
- Sure lie and Bâtonnage (lees contact and stirring)
- Sur Lie additive
- SO2 Management
- SO2 Management Protocols
- Acuvin Quick SO2 test
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Black Swan Barrels (exotic woods)
- Ethiopian Spice Market (for gesho)
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Are You Afraid of the Rum: And Other Cocktails for 90’s Kids by Sam Slaughter
- 11-5 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot – meadery automation, peak honey, Irish mead
- 11-12 and 11-19 in Poland
- 11 – 26 Amy Olsen and Annie Zipser – Michigan Mead Alliance and making great mead
- Oct 31 – Rabbit’s Foot Meadery, Sunnyvale, CA- Annual Ghostly Event
- Nov 2 – Bos Meadery – Common Chords concert
- Nov 2 – Superstition Meadery, Prescott, AZ – music by Stephy Leigh Griffin
- Nov 5 – Orchid Cellars – Guided Mead Tasting event
- Nov 7 – Big Lost Mead, Ankeny, IA – Mead Tasting event
- Nov 7 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Mead to Laugh: November Edition
- Nov 9 – Victorian Mead Makers Meet Up at Firkin Cellars in Morwell
- Nov 10 – Rabbit’s Foot Meadery, Sunnyvale, CA – 10th Annual Chili Cookoff
- Nov 16 – Heidrun Meadery, Point Reyes Station, CA – Women Who Explore Hike and Meadery Tasting
- Nov 22 – Schramm’s Mead, Ferndale, MI – Sushi Dinner Party
- Nov 22 – Helderberg Meadworks, Cobleskill, NY – Wine and food Pairing Dinner
- Nov 27 – Brothers Drake Meadery – Jazz Wednesday with Ryan Folger
- Dec 6 – Tugwell Creek Honey Farm – Pinot Girls Series: Honey and Mead
- Dec 7 – Schramm’s Mead, Ferndale, MI – Holiday Gala
- Dec 12 – Strad Meadery, Sacramento, CA – Paint and Sip
- Dec 14 – Strad Meadery, Sacramento, CA- Yule Gathering and Viking Feast
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-26-19 Amy Olsen and Annie Zipser – Michigan Mead Alliance, making mead, and mead talk - November 26, 2019
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019