Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS | More
October 4, 2022 – Tonight we’re headed to the west coast, to talk with Mark Tanner, owner of Seattle Mead Company and Deception Cellars in Washington state.
Mark is a Seattle native, and retired Army Lt. Colonel. He’s been homebrewing for over 25 years, and making mead professionally since 2018. Mark got interested in mead a while back, and was the first Washington resident to pass the BJCP Mead exam, and went on to teach prep classes for the first two BJCP Mead exams in Washington.
Mark opened Seattle Mead Company in 2018, and just opened a tasting room in Anacortes, WA, just north of Deception Pass, as northwest as you can get and still be in the United States. Seattle Mead Co has a flagship mead line that is berry-forward and ranges from off dry to medium sweet. Deception Cellars offers meads designed to mimic dry fruit forward jammy red wines. They age on oak, and are positively made to age for decades (though you can drink them now too!). The Deception Cellars meads are currently taking about 18 months to properly age, oak and blend.
He’s gone on to take a number of medals with his meads, and most recently picked up a few at the Mazer Cup. Mark is very intense on his meadmaking, and we’re going to dig deep tonight on what he’s doing.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
Honnibrook Craft Meadery. Rated the very best winery in Colorado! Visit our state-of-the-art meadery and tasting room south of downtown Castle Rock, Colorado, in a converted man cave. Mention the Got Mead Podcast this month for a free draft taster! Google H-O-N-N-I Brook for hours and directions. They love visitors! www.honnibrook.com
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
October 18 – Keith Seiz, National Honey Board
Show links and notes
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Let There Be Session Meads by Rob Ratliff
- Oct 5 – Hierophant Meadery, Mead, WA – Drink Mead at Green Bluff Harvest Festival
- Oct 5 – Over the Moon Farmstead, Pittsfield, NH – Mead and Read – “At the Edge of the Orchard” by Tracy Chevalier
- Oct 6 – Bragging Rooster Beer and Mead, Warrenton, NC – Music Bingo Night
- Oct 8 – Meadiocrity Mead, San Marcos, CA – Open Mic Night and Mead
- Oct 8 – Ogden City Brew Supply, Ogden, UT – Mead Making Workshop
- Oct 8 – Starrlight Mead, Pittsboro, NC – Beginning Home Mead Making Class
- Oct 8 – Apis Mead and Winery, Carnegie, PA – Twilight Queen Release Party
- Oct 9 – Bragging Rooster Beer and Mead, Warrenton, NC – DIY Workshop!
- Oct 13 – Wildflyer Mead Co, Navasota, TX – Book Club – this month “The Last Thing He Told Me”
- Oct 15 – Bragging Rooster Beer and Mead, Warrenton, NC – Poses with Pints – Yoga Class
- Oct 15 – Graham Ordinary, Bedford, VA – Mead in the Mountains – Honeymoon Edition!
- Oct 15 – Honey & Hops Brew Works, Front Royal, VA – Music & Mead featuring Bearded Harmony
- Oct 15-16 – Batch Mead, Temecula, CA – Meadtoberfest!
- Oct 21 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – Autumn Mead Pairing Dinner
- Oct 22 – The Brimming Horn Meadery, Milton, DE – Mead O’ween Spooktacular
- Oct 29 – The Viking Alchemist, Smyrna, GA – Mead and Mischief ’22
- Oct 29 – Brix Urban Winery and Market, Sainte Genevieve, MO – All Hallows Mead
You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
If you want to get your event on GotMead Live, let us know at gotmead@Gotmead.com
- 11-29-22 Manny Elgarresta – Meadmaker – and the Great Keys Honey Giveaway - November 29, 2022
- 11-15-22 Lucas Goucher and Carson Souza – Obscurity Brewing and Mead – Elburn IL - November 15, 2022
- 11-1-2022 – Chad Wiltz – Garagiste Meadery – Tampa FL - November 1, 2022