11-24-20 Tonight at 9PM ET on GotMead Live, we’ll be talking with Sam Slaughter, a food and drink writer who has also written books on cocktails, and is a ten year home meadmaker.
Sam is a freelance food and drink writer from Greenville, SC. He is the author of the ‘90s-themed cocktail book “Are You Afraid of the Dark Rum: and Other Cocktails For ‘90s Kids” and his works has appeared in Maxim, The Bitter Southerner, Bloomberg, and more. He can he found online @slaughterwrites.
Sam is also working on a second cocktail book, and plans to include mead in cocktails in it. We’ll be giving him some ideas about that!
He got his start in mead interning at Hidden Legend Meadery in Victor, Montana and has been home brewing mead for a decade. Sam will be regaling us with what he’s learned in making mead for the last 10 years.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- December 1 – Metheglins Part 2 – Michelle Scandalis and Jeremy Kyncl
- We’ll be back January 5. Happy Holidays!!
Show links and notes
- Are You Afraid of the Dark Rum: and Other Cocktails For ‘90s Kids by Sam Slaughter
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- Cane Island Alers Operation Fermentation VII needs judges for their competition
- Nov 27 – Hierophant Meadery, Green Bluff, WA – Holiday Memories
- Nov 28 – Silver Hand Meadery, Williamsburg, VA – Nosh mobile bistro and Mead
- Nov 28 – Superstition Meadery, Prescott, AZ – Tasting event at Peacock Wine Bar in Gilbert, AZ
- Nov 28 – Kinsale Mead, Ireland – Tales of Mead and Honey Online Talk and Tasting
- Nov 29 – Etowah Meadery, Dahlonega, GA – Ryan Littleeagle Live
- Nov 29 – Superstition Meadery, Phoenix, AZ – Tasting event at Lovecraft Ale House in Phoenix
- Nov 30 – Domras Cup Competition, Richmond Hill, GA – General entries open
- Dec 5 – Iceni Meadery, Peterborough, UK – Yule and Christmas Fayre
- Dec 56 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – Facebook Live First Sunday Sound Bath with Ancient Sound Therapy
- Dec 14 – Prairie Rose Meadery, Fargo, ND – Park Lane Jewelry at the meadery
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 4-27-21 Stian Krog – Mjøderiet – bringing back mead in Norway - April 27, 2021
- 4-13-21 Pierre Rodrigue – Making Mead and Wine in Canada - April 13, 2021
- 3-30-21 Cristoff Plizga and Scot Schaar – Polish mead and beyond - March 30, 2021