11-3-20 Tonight at 9PM ET GotMead Live will be talking with Dan McNevin. Dan is a home meadmaker with a penchant for foraging his mead ingredients and also for making weirdomels (technically known as experimental meads).
Dan has been mead making for 7 years and brewing beer for 26 years. He likes to forage for ingredients like Autumn Olive, blackberry, spruce tips, sumac, etc. He likes to use herbs and vegetables as well. He’s made Chocolate mint mead, lemon balm, lemon and thyme, lemon and sage (his wife’s favorite), a root vegetable mead with yam, carrot, radish, beet ginger finished with basil. That one didn’t score well at Mazer but he got great feed back. Those damn radishes! He’s made butternut squash with sage and backsweetened with maple syrup (Thanksgiving Mead!). Carrot cake. He loves to work with citrus, along with lemon, blood orange, sweet orange (Creamsicle). He makes apple pie & apple crisp Cysers, He has a cranberry cider with foraged crabapple and his own golden delicious apples, home grown Concord grape pyments. He has a green tomato mead in primary. Ever since he tried Brimminghorn Meadery’s green tomato mead, he planned to grow extra tomatoes for it. He has a lavender-chamomile with green tea ready to bottle. And of course his Mazer Cup winner Rojo Red, made with homegrown red raspberries with Pasilla de Oxacca chilies. Mild heat with a touch of smoke.
Dan is a toolmaker by trade who now manages a prototype/test lab of a medical connector-cable assembly company. He’s been married for 26 years and has a college age daughter. He has too many hobbies. He loves gardening and all things outdoors including bow hunting. Dan is also 3 term past president of of the “South Shore Brew Club” located south of Boston. He’s the newsletter coordinator now and still very active in the club. He helped out at the AMMA booth during HomeBrewCon in Providence RI, and had a blast meeting all the pro and home mead makers. He loves using homegrown and forage ingredients in beer, braggots, meads and ciders. His most unique/non traditional ingredient used is Daylilies. (Daylilies!)
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- November 10 – Willie Wrede, Meduseld Meadery
Show links and notes
- Foraging New England
- Northeast Foraging
- Foraging Guide
- Edible Wild Plants
- Foraging the Rocky Mountains
- Midwest Foraging
- Southeast Foraging
- Pacific Northwest Foraging
- Mountain States Foraging
- Southwest Foraging
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email email@example.com and he’ll send you questions
- Nov 6 – Dysfunctional Delights Meadery, Lebanon, OH – Grand Opening!
- Nov 6 – Honnibrook Meadery, Castle Rock, CO – Pat Foley Live Music
- Nov 6 – Haley’s Honey Meadery, Hopewell, VA – First Friday
- Nov 7 – Beacon Meadery, Brooklyn, NY – Brooklyn Crust Wine and Artisanal Food Festival
- Nov 13 – Honnibrook Meadery, Castle Rock, CO – Josh Blackburn live music
- Nov 20 – Honnibrook Meadery, Castle Rock, CO – Scott Brown Live music
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 8-9-22 Dan Kesterson at Antelope Ridge Mead in Colorado Springs, CO - August 9, 2022
- 7-12-22 Jeremy Kyncl – Hierophant Meadery – Mead, WA and Whidbey Island - July 12, 2022
- 5-24-22 Bob Slanzi – Bees, Meads and European Mead Making - May 24, 2022