12-1-20 Tonight at 9PM ET on GotMead Live, our last show of 2020, the dumpster fire of a year, we are happy to have Michelle Scandalis and Jeremy Kyncl, owners of Hierophant Meadery in Washington, with two locations on the Green Bluff loop in Mead, and a tasting room on Whidbey Island.
Jeremy and his wife Michelle have a background in herbs and are focused on local-sourcing their mead ingredients and creating a uniquely local product. They love the ‘back-to-nature’ aspects of mead making, and all the nuances that plants can add to the mix at various stages of growth.
Jeremy is a trained herbalist and behind the deliberately crafted lineup of off-dry meads, and uses responsible sourcing practices and regional honey (often from fellow producers who work along the lush Green Bluff farming loop), both playing fundamental roles. Originally from Colorado, Jeremy Kyncl began homebrewing in college. He was making mead, gruit and beer – including saisons, doppelbocks and wormwood-infused ales – when he met his wife, a Central Valley High School graduate who had grown up in Liberty Lake, in 2008. They were both working on bachelor of science degrees in herbal science at Bastyr University in Kenmore, Washington, where they began to dream of starting a meadery.
Michelle Scandalis is an Herbalist, Ayurvedic Practitioner & Meadmaker specializing in ancient herbal preparations and blending techniques. She holds a degree in Herbal Sciences from Bastyr University, where she met Jeremy. Her favorite meads to make are complex metheglin styles. She considers the act of making them, “Guerrilla Herbalism,” and hopes to bring appreciate of plants back to the human palate.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- We’ll be back January 5. Happy Holidays!!
Show links and notes
- Top, Middle and Base Notes: A Comprehensive List
- The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual – James Green and Ajana
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- Cane Island Alers Operation Fermentation VII needs judges for their competition
- Entries are open for the Domras Cup Competition
- Dec 4 – Batch Mead, Temecula, CA – Custom Lettering Workshop and Mead
- Dec 4 – Honnibrook Meadery, Castle Rock, CO – Holiday string quartet
- Dec 5 – Iceni Meadery, Peterborough, UK – Yule and Christmas Fayre
- Dec 5 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – 11th Annual Holiday Open House
- Dec 5 – Kinsale Meadery, Ireland – Online Mead Talk and Tasting
- Dec 5 – Honeypot Meadery, Anaheim, CA – Coastal Bruiseberry release (online ticketed event)
- Dec 5 – The Colony Meadery, Bethlehem, PA – Southside Naughty or Nice Cocktails and Cookies Crawl
- Dec 6 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – Facebook Live First Sunday Sound Bath with Ancient Sound Therapy
- Dec 12 – The Colony Meadery, Bethlehem, PA – Southside Naughty or Nice Cocktails and Cookies Crawl
- Dec 14 – Prairie Rose Meadery, Fargo, ND – Park Lane Jewelry at the meadery
- Dec 19 – Rohan Meadery, La Grange, TX – Live music with Julie Bouchard
- Dec 19 – The Colony Meadery, Bethlehem, PA – Southside Naughty or Nice Cocktails and Cookies Crawl
- Jan 1 – Honnibrook Meadery, Castle Rock, CO – Live music with Lindsey Giffey
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 3-30-21 Cristoff Plizga and Scot Schaar – Polish mead and beyond - March 30, 2021
- 3-2-21 Clint Walker and Chase Cohagan – Texas Honey and Texas Mead - March 2, 2021
- 2-23-21 Dustin Deisher and Jeff Anderson – Bench Trials & Adjustments - February 23, 2021