2-18-20 Tonight at 9PM ET GotMead Live will be talking with Marina Marchese, the Honey Sommelier. Marina will be speaking at MeadCon 2020 this year, talking about honey sensory analysis and dong a live honey tasting.
Carla Marina Marchese is a member of the Italian National Register of Experts in the Sensory Analysis of Honey, where she received her formal training as a honey sensory expert. Her book, The Honey Connoisseur co-authored with Kim Flottum (editor of Bee Culture Magazine) parallels the concept of terroir to single – origin honey directly matching floral sources to flavors and conceived the first U.S. honey aroma and flavor wheel. In 2011, Marina established The American Honey Tasting Society as the resource for honey sensory education in the United States. An apiculturist, Marina has also successfully completed the Charles Mraz Apitherapy Course, twice, achieving a deep understanding of products of the beehive and their applications to health and healing.
An avid world traveler, Marina has had the opportunity to taste hundreds of new and old world honeys maintaining an impressive private library of honey samples. Most of Marina’s work today is consulting for culinary professionals as well as sourcing rare, exotic and exquisite honeys for some of the finest chefs around the country. She is available to create and style honey menus and events or lead guided sensory educational courses for those who would like to train their senses to identify flavors, floral sources, crystallization and defects in honey.
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- Feb 25 – Roger Wanner and Joe Abruzzo – WA MeadWerks – Start Up on a Shoestring
- March 3 – TBA
- March 10, 17 and 24th off for MeadCon final prep, the event, and recovery (I’ll have no voice)
Show links and notes
- Honeybee: Lessons from an Accidental Beekeeper by C. Marina Marchese
- The Honey Connoisseur by C. Marina Marchese and Kim Flottum
- National Honey Board Mead Crafter Compeitition
- Penn Herb Co
- San Francisco Herbs
- Wellcome Mead: 105 Mead Recipes from the 17th and 18th Century English Receipt Books at the Wellcome Library by Laura Angotti
- Cider and Perry in Britain to 1700: A Collection of Material from Primary and Selected Secondary Sources by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- February 22 – Strad Meadery, Cordoba, CA – Paint and Sip class
- February 23 – Threadbare Cider and Mead, Pittsburgh, PA – Koji and Tempeh Master Class
- February 23 – Washington Mead and Cider Cup Deadline
- February 28 – Fifth Annual Michigan Nordic Fire Festival and Mead Hall – Charlotte, MI
- February 29 – Brimming Horn Meadery, Milton, DE – Mead, Cider and Fruit Wine pairing with Girl Scout cookies
- March 7 – Kvlt Mead, Tacoma, WA – One Year Anniversary
- March 7 – Brimming Horn Meadery, Milton, DE – Bastion’s Wake with Matt Barlow and Freddie Vidales
- March 11-12 – Ancient Fire Mead & Cider, Manchester, NH – 2nd Birthday Celebration
- March 13 – Grimsby Hollow Meadery, Middleville, MI – Zachary Craft, music
- March 17 – MeadCon Meadery Open Houses at Queen Bee Meadery (Denver) and Honnibrook Meadery (Castle Rock)
- March 18-19 – MeadCon 2020, Broomfield, CO – 2 days of seminars and the MeadUp mead tasting event
- March 20-21 – Mazer Cup International Mead Competition and Mead Mixer Tasting Event (March 20)
- April 3 – Clear Skies Meadery, Gaithersburg, MD – Opening day, 3PM
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!