2-26-19 Tonight we are getting together with Mike Manning, co-owner of The Colony Meadery in Allentown, PA. Mike is speaking at the AMMA MeadCon in two sessions, Session Meads, and Post Fermentation Mead Flavoring.
Mike has been brewing since 2001, and did his first mead in 2009, on Mead Day. He’s gone on to win a bunch of medals, and won BOS in Valhalla, resulting in a collaboration mead with Moonlight Meadery that is still a core mead with them.
When Mike did the collab, he was hooked, and eventually co-founded The Colony Meadery with Greg Heller-LaBelle. The Colony is making some pretty awesome meads.
Mike is a huge proponent of balance in meads, getting the a combination of flavors, acids and tannins using both during and post fermentation techniques to ensure his meads are ‘just right’. And he’s got the experience and medals to back it up.
We’ll be talking about what to expect at his talks in two weeks, as well as deliving into his ideas on mead balance and what works and what doesn’t.
Click the chat link to join us in the live conversation during the show.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online!
9PM EDT/6PM PDT
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- March 2 – Wild Blossom Meadery and Winery – Mardi Gras Silent Day Party
- March 3 – Heidrun Meadery – Crabfest
- March 12-14 – American Mead Makers Association MeadCon and Trade Show
- March 14-16 – Mazer Cup International Mead Competition and Mead Mixer Mead Tasting
- March 23 – Schramm’s Mead – Chrissie Brunch, in honor of Jean Schramm’s mother (ticketed event)
- March 30 – Starrlight Mead – Intermediate Mead Making Class
- March 30 – Brooklyn Women Homebrew Competition
- March 30 – Southern California Mead Alliance – Off Flavors Sensory Training
- April 5-6 – The Colony Meadery – Spring Wine Festival at Bear Creek
- April 6 – Meridian Hive Meadery – Run for Mead
- June 1 – Warped Pours II – Pour Harder – Metro South Homebrew League Homebrew Festival
- July 27 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-26-19 Amy Olsen and Annie Zipser – Michigan Mead Alliance, making mead, and mead talk - November 26, 2019
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019