4-19-16 Jon Talkington of Brimming Horn Meadery will be with us tonight!
(Apologies for the lateness – life and stuff, I’m way behind).
Jon Talkington is well known around the mead community as an experienced mead maker of over 20 years, and a man of strong opinions on ways to make good mead. And since his mead is pretty darn good, people listen. (That’s a hint, y’all should tune in tonight!!). He is also a professional brewer, and has been working at Dogfish Head Brewery for the last 12 years, currently in charge of their barrel and wood-aged beer and cider program. So he knows how to ferment.
Jon joins us tonight to talk about meadmaking, and also to talk about his impending opening of his meadery, Brimming Horn. We’ll be exploring what he’s all about, his influences and where he sees things going. Join us to listen, and talk to Jon!
On Making Good Mead – Back to Basics, AJ, Manny and Ryan are digging into hydrometers, ingredient quality and care and feeding of yeast. You’ll want to join in. We might even get Jon to stick around to join in!
9PM Eastern tonight!!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
What we were drinking:
- AJ – Chateau Chevette Maple Mead (recipes in multiple places on GM forum, search it)
- Vicky – St. Ambrose Draft Razz
- Jon –
- Manny –
- Ryan –
Show links and notes:
- Golden Coast Meadery is starting a mead club! Go to http://www.goldencoastmead.com/mead-club to learn more
- B.Nektar Meadery has their Royal Jelly Bottle Club up and running. Find out more at http://www.bnektar.com/royal-jelly-bottle-club-details/
- Mead Mixology Mixer at the Atomic Fern in Durham, NC (my neck of the woods!) on April 20 and April 27, from 6-8PM. The Atomic Fern 108 E Parrish St, Durham, North Carolina 27701. Join me (Vicky Rowe) and come sample some new mixed drinks made with five different Honeygirl meads, and vote for your favorite. Vicky will be there April 20. The winning drink will go on the drink menu at Atomic Fern. $10 for five drink samples and one vote, per night. Voting will occur on both nights and the winner will be announced on 4/27. For this event, we teamed up with some local mixologists to create seasonal cocktails with Honeygirl meads.
- Vahseer Meadery is having their grand opening on Thursday, April 28 @ 11AM at their location in Altavista, VA. This is an invitation only event, and it is being keynoted by the Virginia Commissioner of Agriculture. Visit vahseer.com to inquire about obtaining an invite, There will be tastings going on, a great chance to check out a new meadery!
- Leaky Roof Meadery is hosting a May Day Mead and Beer Fest, April 30 from 1-5 PM. There will be mead (of course!) and beer, and live music. This is also a bike show, and they will be judging bikes in several categories. Learn more at leakyroofmeadery.com/
- Mead Free or Die is April 30. This is one of the biggest mead competitions in the country, and a definite must do for any mead maker or professional meadery who wants to compete to attend. Check them out at meadfreeordie.com
- UC Davis Honey and Pollination Center has an upcoming event: http://honey.ucdavis.edu/events/honey-sensory-experience
Honey Sensory Experience – May 20-21
Two days featuring a survey of nature’s perfect sweet!
Taste Honeys from across the Globe!
The essential course for the professional buyer, importer, category manager, producer, packer or anyone who wants to gain expertise in the arena of honey analysis. Over two days, expert teachers will guide participants through a unique tasting and educational odyssey.
- 11-29-22 Manny Elgarresta – Meadmaker – and the Great Keys Honey Giveaway - November 29, 2022
- 11-15-22 Lucas Goucher and Carson Souza – Obscurity Brewing and Mead – Elburn IL - November 15, 2022
- 11-1-2022 – Chad Wiltz – Garagiste Meadery – Tampa FL - November 1, 2022