4-23-19 Tonight we’re headed down to Texas, to talk with Gary Gordon, owner of Breaking Brew Meadery in Farmers Branch, Texas. Gary and his family got involved with mead via beer. He gave his son at beer kit on his 21st birthday, and that got the ball rolling. After 5 years of making beers, he got really interested in meads and ciders. They were really interested in how fast mead was taking off, and realized that craft beer drinkers are open minded about trying new things, and the meadery idea was born. Once they realized the equipment costs were lower for mead, that really got things going. Breaking Brew Meadery currently makes 10 session meads, and is getting ready to release six full meads, and is poured in two taprooms. We’ll talk with Gary about his meadmaking ideas, and delve into his adventures in starting a meadery.
Click the chat link to join us in the live conversation during the show.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Beersmith software
- Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- April 24 – Schramm’s Mead – Mazer Club Heather Reception
- April 25 – Wandering Bard Meadery – Mead and Pie pairing
- April 26-27 – Charm City Meadworks – Charm City Bluegrass Festival
- April 28 – Bos Meadery – Baked Goods and Mead Mashup
- May 4 – Leaky Roof Meadery – May Day at the Meadery
- May 9 – The Royce Detroit – The Compleat Introduction to Mead with Ken Schramm
- May 19 – Starrlight Meadery – Reiki I Certification class
- May 20-22 – Wye Valley Meadery – London Wine Fair
- May 24-25 – Wild Blossom Meadery and Winery – Singles Mingle Event
- May 25-26 – Linganore Winery – Caribbean Wine and Music Festival
- June 1 – Warped Pours II – Pour Harder – Metro South Homebrew League Homebrew Festival
- June 27 – Brother’s Drake Mead – The Bee’s Meads at the Conservatory
- July 27 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.