5-11-21 This episode, we’re headed off to the Netherlands, and hanging out with Jeroen Krikke, owner of Kollectiv Mead in Den Haag (The Hague). Jeroen is a long time mead maker, and has taken his love of mead commercial, with his small, but growing meadery.
Jeroen used a sabbatical to start Kollektiv Mead in 2018, following his ambition to introduce The Netherlands to “Dutch Craft Mead”. At Kollektiv he makes small batch Dessert style meads, often very fruit heavy, made with modern mead practices. His fermentation journey started with beer in 2015, with mead entering the picture around 2017. Inspired by great examples from the U.S. (Think NEIPA’s, Pastry stouts, Dessert and Pastry style meads) he makes meads based heavily based on science rather then artistry.
Kollektiv Mead was started on pretty much a shoestring budget causing batch sizes to be on the smaller side. Mead is hardly known at all in The Netherlands and when it’s already known, it’s from the medieval or fantasy angle. That has proven both a challenge as well as an opportunity, as a new path could be paved. From the 3-5 other commercial meaderies operating in The Netherlands, Kollektiv has clearly positioned itself on the modern craft side, introducing complex and intense meads.In response to a demand that is continuously rising, the decision was made to transform Kollektiv to a membership meadery with currently 120 spots and a waiting list several times that size.
Join us on the live chat!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- May 25 – Kon and Julie Paseschinikoff – Bee Boyzz Honey and Meadery – Manitoba, Canada
- June 8 – Anders Reising & his partner Jarl- Askheimer Meadery, Norway
- June 22 – Gert Smet – Blacksmiths Meadery, Belgium
- July 27 – Danique Staal- De Noordelijke Mederij, Netherlands
- August 10 – Gordon Baron – Lancashire Mead, Great Britain
Show links and notes
- Top, Middle and Base Notes: A Comprehensive List
- The Herbal Medicine Maker’s Handbook: A Home Manual – James Green and Ajana
- Food Pairing website
- The Flavor Bible
- The Flavor Matrix – the Art and Science of Pairing Common Ingredients to Create Extrordinary Dishes
- On Food and Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen
- Closet of Sir Kenelm Digby Unlock’d – Historical mead recipes
- Wellcome Mead by Laura Angotti
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email email@example.com and he’ll send you questions
- May 12 – American Mead Makers Association – MeadCon week 3 – Carvin Wilson on mead judging and Billy Beltz on building and operation a successful tasting room
- May 13 – Sweet Rebel Honingwijn, Antwerp, Belgium – Copenhagen Mead tasting
- May 15 – Haley’s Honey Meadery, Hopewell, VA – every Saturday at the Williamsburg Farmers Market
- May 15 – Rohan Meadery, La Grange, TX – The Sidewinders live music
- May 19 – American Mead Makers Association – MeadCon week 4 – Pierre Rodrigue on steam juicing and Laura Angotti – putting historical recipes in your mead arsenal
- May 21-22 – UC Davis Honey and Pollination Center – Mead: Getting Creative
- May 22 – Sugarbelt Mead Festival – put on by Manic Meadery, Crown Point Indiana
- May 26 – American Mead Makers Association – MeadCon week 5 – Sergio Moutela – so you want to open a meadery? and Ash Fishbein – club memberships and the money funnel
- May 28 – St. Ambrose Mead, Wine and Cider, Beulah, MI – Jen Sygit and Mike Lynch live music
- June 1 – Leaky Roof Meadery, Buffalo, MO- Open Jam with food vendor Ben’s Hotdogs & Brats
- June 12 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – Fairy Hair for Everyone!
- June 19 – National Homebrew Watch Party (online)
- July 3 – White Winter Meadery, Cidery and Distillery, Iron River, WI – 25th Anniversary Celebration
- July 24 – Stardust Cellars and Taproom, Wilksboro, NC – Meadeival Festival featuring meads from Stardust and Moonjoy and Honeysuckle meaderies
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!