5-28-19 Tonight we’re talking with Steve Mertz, ‘the Canadian Sasquatch’ (who confusingly lives in Texas). We’ll be talking mead methodologies and the things Steve has figured out about them. Steve “The Canadian Sasquatch” started home brewing in Fall of 2012 after a trip to the Texas Renaissance Festival. His Beautiful Bride to be, and him had some mead and thought it would be fun to try to make it at home. A quick trip to the local home brew store and one mead kit later, he was hooked. Soon after that he also tried his hand at brewing beer and quite enjoyed that process as well. But mead was what he enjoyed the most in brewing. Mostly because there is a lot less cleanup afterwards! In the Spring of 2016 he decided to come up with the Mead Methodologies YouTube series to help educate others in the ways of making mead. Trying to simplify some of the more confusing aspects of it all in a video format that would allow others to get a grasp of them. And in the Summer of 2016, the Mead Methodologies series was live on YouTube. In Spring of 2017 he decided that a book based on Mead Methodolgies would be a good idea, and thus the book was born. You can get “Steve the Canadian Sasquach’ Mead Methodologies” on Amazon. When not home brewing, Steve enjoys woodworking, hanging out in nature with his Beautiful Bride, and amoking all over the world with her. [break]Click the chat link to join us in the live conversation during the show.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- May 29 – Valhalla Meadery – Open Mic Night
- May 30 – Bos Meadery – Finding North – live music
- June 1 – Starrlight Meadery – Spirits of Summer Festival
- June 1 – Honeymoon Meads – Music – Giant’s Causeway
- June 1 – Western Reserve Meadery – Main St. Kent’s Art and Wine Festival
- June 1 – Warped Pours II – Pour Harder – Metro South Homebrew League Homebrew Festival
- June 6 – Honey Pot Meadery – Orange County Palate, A Beer and Food Event
- June 8 – Starrlight Mead – Mead and Paint with Picasso Paint
- June 7-9 Brimming Horn Meadery – 2nd Annual ‘Party Like its 793 Viking Festival
- June 8 – Woodstone Creek Artisan Winery and Distillery – Saturday Sips, Wine, Mead, Spirits (wine, mead, port and distilled spirits)
- June 24-27 – UC Davis – Meadmaking 301 Class – speakers include Ash Fishbein, Billy Beltz, Ken Schramm, Mike Faul and Susan Ruud
- June 27 – Brother’s Drake Mead – The Bee’s Meads at the Conservatory
- July 27 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival
- Aug 31 – New Day Craft Mead – Meadful Things and Outciders Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 10-12-21 James Boicourt – Charm City Meadworks – Session Meads – on the Dry Side - October 12, 2021
- 9-28-21 Bob Slanzi – Making Mead, Rescuing a Mead, Saving a Meadery - September 28, 2021
- 9-14-21 National Honey Month with Alison Conklin – National Honey Board - September 14, 2021