5-7-19 We are talking with Greg Heller-LaBelle, Vice President of the American Mead Makers Association, and co-owner of The Colony Meadery in Bethlehem, PA. Greg is coming on to tell us all about the debut of MeadCon East, the AMMA conference, that will be held in Pennsylvania, September 5-7, 2019.
After 3 years of holding the MeadCon in Broomfield, CO alongside the Mazer Cup International, the AMMA has decided to host a second conference on the other side of the country. This event, being in the first year, is as yet small, but is expected to grow each year.
Greg himself is a longtime homebrewer (from wayy back in college). He eventually moved back to his birthplace in Bethlehem, PA. He is a craft beer writer, and when he got back to his hometown, he revived the Lehigh Valley Brewing, a fancy name for a group of guys who got together monthly to share dusty beers they’d collected and stored. (Because beer, of course!). At one of those meetings, this guy, Mike Manning brought along a homemade mead. And boy was it good! Greg, having been deep in the beer culture, saw the writing on the wall that the mead world was going to take off, and spent the next couple months hounding this stranger to go into business with him, and The Colony Meadery was born! We’re going to talk Meadcon, mead, and building and running a meadery with Greg tonight, join us!
Click the chat link to join us in the live conversation during the show.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Lars Blog – Norwegian yeast
- Beersmith software
- Designing Great Beers by Ray Daniels
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- May 9 – The Royce Detroit – The Compleat Introduction to Mead with Ken Schramm
- May 12 – Orchid Cellar Winery – Mother’s Day: Sweet and Succulents
- May 17 – Rushford Meadery and Winery – Winery Comedy Tour
- May 18-19 Orchid Cellars Meadery – Wine in the Woods – Maryland
- May 19 – Starrlight Meadery – Reiki I Certification class
- May 20-22 – Wye Valley Meadery – London Wine Fair
- May 25 – Honeygirl Meadery – Mead and (Bee)sign – paint beehives at Buddha Bee Apiary
- May 24-25 – Wild Blossom Meadery and Winery – Singles Mingle Event
- May 25-26 – Linganore Winery – Caribbean Wine and Music Festival
- June 1 – Starrlight Meadery – Spirits of Summer Festival
- Jun 1 – Honeymoon Meads – Music – Giant’s Causeway
- June 1 – Warped Pours II – Pour Harder – Metro South Homebrew League Homebrew Festival
- June 7-9 Brimming Horn Meadery – 2nd Annual ‘Party Like its 793 Viking Festival
- June 8 – Woodstone Creek Artisan Winery and Distillery – Saturday Sips, Wine, Mead, Spirits (wine, mead, port and distilled spirits)
- June 27 – Brother’s Drake Mead – The Bee’s Meads at the Conservatory
- July 27 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival
- Aug 31 – New Day Craft Mead – Meadful Things and Outciders Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 9-17-19 Traci Kuhfuss and Amy Olsen – women in meadmaking and making great meads - September 17, 2019
- 9-3-19 Mateusz Blaszczyk and Krzysztof Jarek, Kings of Mead Competition and European Mead Makers Association Conference - September 3, 2019
- 8-27-19 Sam Slaughter, Author of Are You Afraid of the Dark Rum (and a secret guest) - August 27, 2019