6-13-17 We’re stepping out of our series featuring amazing home mead makers to take an evening with Bill Oliver, of Oliver Winery. Bill’s father Professor William Oliver started winemaking as a hobby back in the 1960’s, and Bill grew that hobby winery into a high quality winery. Oliver happens to make one of the older professional meads in the United States, Camelot Mead.
Professor Oliver was instrumental in passing legislation allowing for the creation of small wineries in Indiana. The Indiana Small Winery Act passed in 1971, and Oliver Winery opened in 1972. Sales took off with Camelot Mead, and they’ve been growing ever since.
Oliver Winery isn’t just some stodgy old winery, they make mead, cider, and a number of fun wines.They sell their fruit forward wines, ciders and Camelot mead in 18 states. They have recently reformulated Camelot for a new generation, and wanted to come on the show and tell us about it. We’re looking forward to seeing what they have to say, and to learning more about how Professor Oliver found out about mead, and what made him decide to make it, and what he’s learned in over 40 years of mead making.
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- Oak and Mead – Petar Bakulic
- Titrets sulfite testing kit
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- St. Ambrose Cellars – Live music every Friday night – Thirsty Thursday (35% off Refills) – Open Mic Nights on Thursdays (6PM)
- Meridian Hive Meadery – last Friday of every month – Board Game Mead Up at the Tasting Room
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 10-12-21 James Boicourt – Charm City Meadworks – Session Meads – on the Dry Side - October 12, 2021
- 9-28-21 Bob Slanzi – Making Mead, Rescuing a Mead, Saving a Meadery - September 28, 2021
- 9-14-21 National Honey Month with Alison Conklin – National Honey Board - September 14, 2021