7-16-19 Tonight at 9PM Eastern we’re headed out to Colorado, to talk with Mike and DJ from Honnibrook Meadery. AJ and I met Mike and DJ at the 2019 MeadCon and MazerCup, and I was *blown away* by their salted mango session mead (and all their other meads). These guys are doing something right, and if you haven’t tried it, you need to.
Honnibrook Craft Meadery has been open for five months and the guys are really dialling in on serving session meads, refreshing meads below 8% ABV that are easy drinkers. The meadery is located just a little over a mile south of downtown Castle Rock Colorado in industrial warehouse space and hosts a 12 tap tasting room in addition to a very modern production facility. They’re doing self-distributing right now, and from what I’ve seen online, their meads are getting pretty popular.
DJ and Mike are both longtime home brewers that met at church and started brewing beer religiously every weekend for about ten years, experimenting with all the spectrum of styles. DJ even worked part-time as an assistant brewer at a very successfully Denver Brewery to learned a lot about the beer business. DJ also has a culinary degree and worked as executive chef at the local country club. Their experimenting was not limited to beer, and they made several meads too. The meads received such a positive response they changed their focus to mead completely. They have attended the mead making classes at UC Davis to hone their craft and understand the commercial side of mead making and tinkered on draft mead recipes for several years with the focus on being professional mead makers. They both have won awards individually and together in the amateur and professional mead competitions. Even with success, Honnibrook has experienced, DJ still has his day job delivering medical supplies, and Mike has his day job working in IT, so the meadery is open Thursday-Sunday evenings.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- July 23 – Matt Weide and Curt Stock – Valkyries Horn mead comp
- July 30 – Recolte Mead
- July 18 – The Hive – Mead, Peace, Love and Cheesecake Pairing
- July 20 – Folklore Brewing and Meadery – Home Brewing Workshop
- July 24 – Bos Meadery – synthesizer group The Blips
- July 25 – Golden Coast Mead – Monthly Meading and Homebrew share
- July 27 – Orcas Island Cider and Mead Festival
- Aug 3 – Queen City Meadery – Grand Opening and National Mead Day Festival
- Aug 3 – Meridian Hive Meadery – National Mead Day Celebration
- Aug 3 – Long Island Mead Festival – Including Beacon Meadery, Enlightenment Wines, Haymaker Meadery, Meridian Hive, Mutiny Distribution, MYSTO MEAD, Remarkable Liquids Distribution, Slate Point Meadery, & W A Meadwerks with more being added every day.
- Aug 8 – Skal Beer Hall – Washington Mead Fest
- Aug 31 – New Day Craft Mead – Meadful Things and Outciders Festival
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 11-5-19 Mike Faul – Rabbits Foot Mead – peak honey, Irish mead and meadery IT - November 5, 2019
- 10-29-19 – Sergio Moutela – pyments, beer style meads, weirdomels and recipes - October 29, 2019
- 10-8-19 Adam Crockett on oaking, barrels and making mead in Pét Nat style - October 8, 2019