Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | RSS | More
7-18-17 Tonight we’re talking with Scott Schaar, 2017 NHC Meadmaker of the Year.
Scott and his wife Karen were watching a viking movie in about 2000, and they were drinking mead in the movie. Scott and Karen were intrigued, so they hunted down a commercial mead to try. They decided that it was pretty interesting, but thought they could make a better mead themselves. The result was raspberry mead on the ceiling, and they were hooked!
Scot has been meadmaking since 2001?? He has multiple Mead BOS including MidWinter, Kansas City Biermeister’s comp, Domras Cup. Several Mazer Cup placings, multiple Mead Free or Die Placings, 2015 East Coast Mead Maker of the Year and 2017 AHA Mead Maker of the Year. Recipes scaled up by Prairie Rose Meadery and Moonlight Meadery. Past distiller at Mississippi River Distilling Company and current Head Brewer at Crawford Brew Works.
Come hang out with us tonight while we talk with Scott about the meads he’s made, and what he’s learned in 17 years of making meads.
Join us for GotMead Live Chat, on Skype, live during the broadcast!! You can join us here: https://join.skype.com/sOgoU06hcV7s during the show, and we’ll pass along questions to the guest, and answer your questions!
Join us 9PM ET tonight! (8PM CT/7PM MT/6PM PT)
Want to join the conversation, give us a call!! 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
If you want us to tackle your mead making questions, you can send us a question and we’ll tackle it online!
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
Show links and notes
- Bladderwrack Seaweed – http://www.seaweed.ie/descriptions/fucus_vesiculosus.php
- Vanilla Beans – Beanilla
- Entries are open for competition at the Eltham and District Wine Guild
- Oak and Mead – Petar Bakulic
- Titrets sulfite testing kit
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- St. Ambrose Cellars – Live music every Friday night – Thirsty Thursday (35% off Refills) – Open Mic Nights on Thursdays (6PM)
- Meridian Hive Meadery – last Friday of every month – Board Game Mead Up at the Tasting Room
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 11-29-22 Manny Elgarresta – Meadmaker – and the Great Keys Honey Giveaway - November 29, 2022
- 11-15-22 Lucas Goucher and Carson Souza – Obscurity Brewing and Mead – Elburn IL - November 15, 2022
- 11-1-2022 – Chad Wiltz – Garagiste Meadery – Tampa FL - November 1, 2022