8-13-19 Tonight at 9PM EST we’re talking with Kevin Martin, Head of Fermentation, Labs and IT at Goodroads Cider and Mead in Charlotte, NC.
Kevin is a long time home brewer, since 1994. His first kit was a ‘Slobber Porter’, and his second beer was an Imperial stout/Dopple Bock/Barley wine hybrid (he was new). He read about mead in Charlie Papazian’s ‘New Complete Joy of Home Brewing‘, went out and bought a commercial example, and decided he wanted to try it out. His first batch was, in his words, ‘ugh’.
Then it became a challenge.
He ended up making mead for his wedding, and started competing in 2001. He went on to be North Carolina Mead Maker of the Year on the Top Three plaque 13 times, with 4 first places between 2001 and 2015. He has hundreds of medals and ribbons in competition for mead. He has gotten his BJCP National Judge and MJCP judge credentials.
In 2017, he went pro as head of fermentation at Good Roads. Kevin is married and has a daughter and a cat, and a member of the Carolina Brew Masters brew club, which was the winner of the first AHA Radagast Award (Kevin was president that year).
Good Roads opened on St. Patrick’s Day, 2017, and is both a cidery and meadery. The name comes from a play on majority owner Brian Beauchemin’s last name, which means “wonderful path” in French. They are currently serving in their tasting room, and selling to individuals in growlers, but plan to have a bottling line up soon.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show
Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Black Swan Barrels (exotic woods)
- Ethiopian Spice Market (for gesho)
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Aug 20 – Kent Waldeck – Crafted Artisan Meadery
- Aug 27 – Sam Slaughter – Food and Drink Editor at The Manual
- Sept 3 – Mateusz Blaszczyk and Krzysztof Jarek – EMMA/Mead Madness Cup
- Sept 10 – Meadcon East and Cornell Mead Intensive (off)
- Aug 16 – Honnibrook Meadery – Steve Selinsky LIVE
- Aug 18 – Bos Meadery – Open Mic Night
- Aug 21 – New Day Craft Mead – Mead Education
- Au 25 – Heidrun Meadery – Bee Experienced, from flower to flute
- Aug 27 – Redstone Meadery – Yogis and Mead Drinkers
- Aug 31 – New Day Craft Mead – Meadful Things and Outciders Festival
- Sept 7 – Folklore Brewing and Meadery – Pints for Pets Flower Girl Class
- Sept 21 – Royal Manor – Mead Festival
- Sept 22 – Starrlight Mead – Mead Day Celebration and Fall Festival
- Sept 28 – Orpheus Meadfest – Tasting and Award Ceremony for Orpheus Cup Mead Competition
- Oct 5-5 and 12-13 – Stonekeep Meadery – Artisan Wine and Cheese pairing weekends
- Oct 19 – Texas Mead Fest
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.
Latest posts by Vicky Rowe (see all)
- 9-17-19 Traci Kuhfuss and Amy Olsen – women in meadmaking and making great meads - September 17, 2019
- 9-3-19 Mateusz Blaszczyk and Krzysztof Jarek, Kings of Mead Competition and European Mead Makers Association Conference - September 3, 2019
- 8-27-19 Sam Slaughter, Author of Are You Afraid of the Dark Rum (and a secret guest) - August 27, 2019