8-18-20 Tonight on Gotmead Live at 9PM ET, we’ll be digging into wine and winemaking for meadmakers. There is a method to our madness. Pyments, mead made with grapes and/or grape juice, is a popular topic in meadmaking recently. There are endless possibilities in making pyments, and we’ve tried some really amazing ones. We’re doing a dive into pyments over the next couple shows, and decided to bring in Peter Bakulic to talk about wine as it pertains to meadmaking this week, and he’ll be back next week to talk pyments.
Pete was the first person on GotMead, wayyyy back in the early days (last century!), to talk about oaking mead during and after fermentation, also to talk about fermentation tannins, filtering (Enolmatic), lees exposure, blending different honeys in mead, combining dark honey and light honey for different characters and flavors in mead, and using a lees stirrer to blend your honey completely into the must. He broke a lot of ground on the forums, and helped countless mead makers to learn to make better mead. And he’s a multiple award winning mead maker, including the first meadmaker to win Best of Show at the California State Fair Homebrew competition with an oaked sweet traditional Orange Blossom Mead in 2006.
Pete has been making mead for over 30 years, and is also a trained winemaker, with education from U.C. Davis, and a family tradition of winemaking that goes back generations. I guess you could say he has some experience!
Come on in and have a listen!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- 8-25-20 Petar Bakulic – Making Pyments
Show links and notes
- Winebusiness for finding grapes and juice
- Finding good low cost wines – WineX – check 10 under 10
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email email@example.com and he’ll send you questions
- National Honey Board Mead Crafter Compeitition
- Aug 26 – White Labs – A Look at the Nutrient Needs of Mead
- Sept 17-19 – Valkyries Horn Mead Competiton – registration until Aug 22.
The one and only KEN SCHRAMM will judge the GOLD medal winners from the Valkyries Horn Mead Competition to determine the Best Of Show!He’s consented to do a virtual tour of his meadery, film his commentary for the top 5 meads, provide a Q&A session after the awards ceremony, AND do a virtual tasting walkthrough of his Raspberry mead (you might want to order one to follow along)!Join them at 7pm on Saturday September 19th for the awards ceremony to see the BOS mead revealed by Ken.Submit your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org and see if Ken will answer your questions.
- September 26-October 1 – Mazer Cup International Competition
- October 1 – Valhalla – The Meading of Life Mead Competition – deadline for entries is 9-19, judging starts 10-1
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 9-22-20 Keith Seiz and Alison Wuebbels – National Honey Board - September 22, 2020
- 9-15-20 Brian Wing – Green Bench Brewing, Cody Lenz and Joe Leigh – Florida Mead - September 15, 2020
- 9-8-20 Sergio Moutela Talks Sessions with Kevin Meintsma - September 8, 2020