8-19-21 Tonight we’re ‘across the pond’ visiting with Ann Farrell and Gordon Baron at Lancashire Mead in Horwich, Lancashire, Great Britain. They make meads in a natural fashion, without stabilizers or finings.
The philosophy that Gordon and Ann have at Lancashire mead is ‘be natural’.In line with their spiritual beliefs, they wanted to keep their Mead as natural as possible. This means, firstly, that the honey they use is raw, unpasteurised, and un-sterilised. For the technically minded, throughout the process at their suppliers, the honey has never been heated above 44 degrees Celsius (112 Fahrenheit). It also means that throughout their process it has never been heated above 40 degrees Celsius.Secondly, it means that there are no chemical additions throughout the whole process, with the exception of the yeast nutrients which are digested along with the sugars in the honey during fermentation. They do not use “fermentation stoppers” or “stabilisers”, the yeast naturally dies off and sediments without the aid of any finings (usually animal products like isinglass).
Join us as we hang out with Gordon and Ann to explore their mead!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
It’s now mead slushee season, and we are celebrating with four rotating flavors. Each one is a dangerously delicious glass of heaven. Visit the state-of-the-art meadery and tasting room south of downtown Castle Rock, Colorado, in a converted man cave. Mention the Got Mead Podcast this month for a free slushee taster! They love visitors! www.honnibrook.com
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- August 31 – Tom Gosnell – Gosnell’s Mead, Great Britain (recorded episode)
Having trouble keeping accurate brew logs? Construct recipes and manage tasting notes with Adventurous Brewer. Adventurous Brewer has your needs in mind–generate staggered nutrient additions, create timers and calendar events, and track active batches. You can even split batches mid-brew to experiment with different flavoring agents in secondary. Visit https://adventurousbrewer.app/login.html today.
Show links and notes
- Aug 21 – Folklore Brewing and Meadery, Dothan, AL – Brunch with Bill Cole LIVE with special guest Austin Horne
- Aug 21 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Live music with Kat and the Hurricanes and Lucas Powell
- Aug 21 – Forthright Cider and Mead, Youngsville, NY – Cyser Social, a pop up event with Mike McQuiston
- Aug 22 – Grimsby Hollow Mead, Middleville, MI – Second Breakfast – every Sunday – Brunch for two!
- Aug 25 – Clear Skies Meadery, Gaithersburg, MD – Open Mic Night with Greg Kneller
- Aug 26 – American Mead Makers Association – Mead Matters – Perfecting your Palate
- Aug 26 – Wandering Bard Meadery, Greenville, SC – Greenville Humane Society Charity Night
- Aug 27 – Big Lost Meadery, Gillette, WY – Nate Champion Band with Kellan Smith
- Aug 27 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Live music with Zeroed Hero and Help Desk
- Sept 4-6 – Starrlight Meadery, Carrboro, NC – Starrlight 11th Birthday Party
- Sept 9 – A Bee Friendly Company, Cheyenne, WY – The Knottingham story by drinking braggots
- Sept 24 – Starrlight Mead, Carrboro, NC – Meadfest!
- September 25-26 Metal and Beer Fest, Philadelphia, PA – Brimminghorn Meadery will be pouring at this festival
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 9-14-21 National Honey Month with Alison Conklin – National Honey Board - September 14, 2021
- 8-31-21 Tom Gosnell – Gosnells of London - August 31, 2021
- 8-19-21 Gordon Baron and Ann Farrell – Lancashire Mead, Lancashire, Great Britain - August 19, 2021