8-20-19 Tonight at 9PM EST we’re talking with Kent Waldeck, owner of Crafted Artisan Meadery in Mogadore, OH.
Kent started homebrewing in around 2004, and like many homebrewers, ended up with mead. Kent worked for over a decade in Product Management and Marketing in consumer and B2B industries in North Carolina and Ohio before starting Crafted. Spending as much time as he can with his wife, Kristy, and their three sons traveling, camping and being outdoors is how he enjoys his time when he’s not busy whipping up their next seasonal release.
Crafted’s story started in North Carolina where Kent Waldeck lived for nearly a decade prior to returning to his home state of Ohio. During his time in North Carolina Kent had started homebrewing and he was absolutely convinced that one day he’d try to open a brewery (along with every other homebrewer…ever).
It was during this time that he came across mead in Charlie Papazian’s Complete Joy of Home Brewing and made his first batch. In 2008 Kent and his wife returned to Ohio to be closer to family and to start their own family. Although relocating for a job in Cleveland he was itching to start his own venture. That venture, though, was to start a meadery instead of brewery.
Between 2009 and 2012 Kent would plan and eventually launch Crafted Artisan Meadery with Crafted ultimately opening it’s doors to the public in June of 2012. Adding session meads to the mix in 2013 allowed Crafted to expand the range of meads they offered and this breadth of category became a cornerstone of their vision and mission. Kent continued working full-time until 2015 when he was laid off and forced to jump headfirst into Crafted full-time. In the 7+ years since opening Crafted has won numerous Mazer Cup medals and they have grown their distribution footprint to include 10 states as of 2019.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Black Swan Barrels (exotic woods)
- Ethiopian Spice Market (for gesho)
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Aug 27 – Sam Slaughter – Food and Drink Editor at The Manual
- Sept 3 – Mateusz Blaszczyk and Krzysztof Jarek – EMMA/Mead Madness Cup
- Sept 10 – Meadcon East and Cornell Mead Intensive (off)
- Aug 21 – New Day Craft Mead – Mead Education
- Au 25 – Heidrun Meadery – Bee Experienced, from flower to flute
- Aug 27 – Redstone Meadery – Yogis and Mead Drinkers
- Aug 31 – New Day Craft Mead – Meadful Things and Outciders Festival
- Aug 31 – Brimming Horn Meadery – Viking Jerk Beard Competition
- Sept 5-7 MeadCon East
- Sept 7 – Folklore Brewing and Meadery – Pints for Pets Flower Girl Class
- Sept 21 – Royal Manor – Mead Festival
- Sept 22 – Starrlight Mead – Mead Day Celebration and Fall Festival
- Sept 28 – Orpheus Meadfest – Tasting and Award Ceremony for Orpheus Cup Mead Competition
- Oct 5-5 and 12-13 – Stonekeep Meadery – Artisan Wine and Cheese pairing weekends
- Oct 19 – Texas Mead Fest
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!