9-1-20 Tonight on Gotmead Live at 9PM ET, we’re on with Susan Ruud, owner of Prairie Rose Meadery in Fargo, ND. And Kevin Meintsma will be joining us as a guest host!
Susan has been making mead for more than 20 years at home, and won her share of competitions. Susan saw the mead industry picking up speed, and thought that opening a meadery would be a great way to enjoy her ‘retirement’, and opened Prairie Rose in 2015. Unfortunately, COVID has slowed down her plan to go full time with Prairie Rose. The meadery is located smack in the middle of Fargo, and has a sweet tap room with couches for lounging and a gorgeous bar. She named the meadery Prairie Rose after the state flower of North Dakota.
Susan is a Research Specialist in Agricultural Research at North Dakota State University and has a Masters in Microbiology, which serves her well in her meadmaking efforts. She is married to Bob, and they have two children, four grandchildren with another on the way, a cat, two dogs and a bunny.
We’ll be talking on mead (of course), particularly spiced mead, as well as what it’s been like running a meadery during COVID.
Come on in and have a listen!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- We’ll know soon!
Show links and notes
- Winebusiness for finding grapes and juice
- Finding good low cost wines – WineX – check 10 under 10
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- National Honey Board Mead Crafter Compeitition
- Sept 5 – Bos Meadery – Madison, WI – Leafy Greens, live music
- Sept 17-19 – Valkyries Horn Mead Competiton – registration until Aug 22.
The one and only KEN SCHRAMM will judge the GOLD medal winners from the Valkyries Horn Mead Competition to determine the Best Of Show!He’s consented to do a virtual tour of his meadery, film his commentary for the top 5 meads, provide a Q&A session after the awards ceremony, AND do a virtual tasting walkthrough of ‘The Statement’ (you might want to order one to follow along)!Join them at 7pm on Saturday September 19th for the awards ceremony to see the BOS mead revealed by Ken.Submit your questions to email@example.com and see if Ken will answer your questions.
- September 26-October 1 – Mazer Cup International Competition
- October 1 – Valhalla – The Meading of Life Mead Competition – deadline for entries is 9-19, judging starts 10-1
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 9-22-20 Keith Seiz and Alison Wuebbels – National Honey Board - September 22, 2020
- 9-15-20 Brian Wing – Green Bench Brewing, Cody Lenz and Joe Leigh – Florida Mead - September 15, 2020
- 9-8-20 Sergio Moutela Talks Sessions with Kevin Meintsma - September 8, 2020