9-24-19 – Tonight we’re back in mead building mode, and have Ryan back to talk about picking the yeast and
honey and other ingredients to achieve specific flavor profiles.
We all have the flavors and tastes we like, and it’s different for everyone. Too much for one is not enough for another. Yeast and honey contribute a fair amount to what you end up with, and what you start with may not be where your mead finishes, flavor-wise.
There are tons of ideas out there: fermenting temperatures, to stir or not to stir, what to add at what point in the fermentation, like fruit in primary or secondary, spices in primary or secondary, toss in spices whole/crushed, do them as tea, or as extracts or tisanes.
How long do you leave them in, and how to figure out what it will end up as?
We’re going to talk about what/when/why, and how you can get your mead to have the flavors you’d like it to end up with.
Join us on the show, and on the chat, and if you’ve something you’d like us to work on, let us know!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
Show links and notes
- Sure lie and Bâtonnage (lees contact and stirring)
- Sur Lie additive
- SO2 Management
- SO2 Management Protocols
- Acuvin Quick SO2 test
- Evoak – Oak Solutions
- Black Swan Barrels (exotic woods)
- Ethiopian Spice Market (for gesho)
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Are You Afraid of the Rum: And Other Cocktails for 90’s Kids by Sam Slaughter
- Sept 26 – Superstition Meadery – Mead and Music at Phoenix location
- Sept 26 – Golden Coast Mead – Monthly Meading and Homebrew Share
- Sept 27 – Bos Meadery – Combo Noir is playing
- Sept 27-28 Superstition Meadery – 2019 Darkness Day
- Sept 28 – Orpheus Meadfest – Tasting and Award Ceremony for Orpheus Cup Mead Competition
- Sept 28 – Prairie Rose Meadery – Grape Plains Winery Tour
- Sept 28 – Texas Mead Cup entry deadline
- Oct 3 – Folklore Brewing – Pints and Paints – Dothan, AL
- Oct 5-5 and 12-13 – Stonekeep Meadery – Artisan Wine and Cheese pairing weekends
- Oct 6 – Starrlight Mead – 29th Annual A Tasteful Affair
- Oct 6 – House Bear Brewing – Game night
- Oct 6 – Great Kiwi Mead Group – First ever New Zealand Mead Up at Remuera in Auckland – Contact Adam via the link here
- Oct 16 – Threadbare Cider and Mead – Fall Owl Cafe to benefit Human Animal Rescue
- Oct 18 – Woodstone Creek Winery and Distillery – Friday Night Flight – Wine, Mead and Spirits
- Oct 19 – Texas Mead Fest
- Oct 19 – Starrlight Meadery – Beginning Home Mead Making Class
- Oct 26-27 Festina Lente – Hallow-Wine treats
- Nov 5 – Orchid Cellars – Guided Mead Tasting event
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
- 9-22-20 Keith Seiz and Alison Wuebbels – National Honey Board - September 22, 2020
- 9-15-20 Brian Wing – Green Bench Brewing, Cody Lenz and Joe Leigh – Florida Mead - September 15, 2020
- 9-8-20 Sergio Moutela Talks Sessions with Kevin Meintsma - September 8, 2020