9-27-21 Tonight we’re changing up a bit, Charm City had to reschedule into October. We’re tickled to have Bob Slanzi step in to talk with us tonight. He’s going to work with Vicky to rescue a mead of hers that went a bit sideways, and we’re going to talk about making mead (of course), as Bob is a no-measure meadmaker, he’s all about the flavor profile and the palate. There may be a special guest or two!
And we’ll be talking about the awful damage done to meaderies during Hurricane Ida, and what people and meaderies are doing to help out.
Bob Slanzi has been keeping bees and making award winning meads for years He is very active in the meadmaking, homebrew and beekeeping communities, having held offices in both his clubs in NY in the past. he is the past president of the Home Governing Committee of the American Mead Makers Association, and very active in helping bring the word of mead to everyone. He is known for his meads, and isn’t afraid to try new flavors, like seaweed.
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
It’s now mead slushee season, and we are celebrating with four rotating flavors. Each one is a dangerously delicious glass of heaven. Visit the state-of-the-art meadery and tasting room south of downtown Castle Rock, Colorado, in a converted man cave. Mention the Got Mead Podcast this month for a free slushee taster! They love visitors! www.honnibrook.com
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- September 28 – James Boicourt – Charm City Meadworks – Baltimore, MD
Having trouble keeping accurate brew logs? Construct recipes and manage tasting notes with Adventurous Brewer. Adventurous Brewer has your needs in mind–generate staggered nutrient additions, create timers and calendar events, and track active batches. You can even split batches mid-brew to experiment with different flavoring agents in secondary. Visit https://adventurousbrewer.app/login.html today.
Show links and notes
- Sept 30 – Clear Skies Meadery, Gaithersburg, MD – Mind, Body and Mead – Yoga class
- Oct 1 – Honey & Hops Brew Works, Front Royal, VA – Music and Mead with Gunner Heathe
- Oct 2 – Bos Meadery, Madison, WI – Live on the Patio: Elements new single release, and featuring Sigra and Flow Poetry
- Oct 2 – Four Brothers Mead, Festus, MO – 2nd Annual Mead on Main – A Viking Festival
- Oct 2 – Nordic Moon Meadery, Lebanon, CT – Charter Oak Mead Cup at the CT Renaissance Faire – get entries in!
- Oct 2 – Orpheus Mead Cup Meadfest Tasting, Golden, CO
- Oct 6 – Vineria Fine Wines and Spirits, Shreveport, LA – Mead Tasting
- Oct 9 – Starrlight Meadery, Pittsboro, NC – Intermediate Mead Making class
- Oct 9 – Batch Mead, Temecula, CA – Viking Night! Souvenir Horn and Pizza!
- Oct 14 – Capital Hive Meadery, Leesburg, VA – October Mead Up
- Oct 14 – Wildflyer Mead Co, Navasota, TX – Adult Coloring Night
- Oct 14 – Victory or Valhalla, Dixon, CA – Ax throwing venue is hosting a mead making class
- Oct 16 – Cape Town Mead Company, Maitland, Cape Town, South Africa – Mead Tasting
- Oct 1-31 – Humblebee Meadery, BC, Canada – Huck it in the Bucket: A month-long special promoting HumbleBee Meadery and Axewood Axe Throwing at the Whistler Racket Club’s Courtside Cafe, Patio, and Bar
- Oct 3 – Tennessee Honey Festival, Nashville, TN- featuring Honey Tree Meadery, music, food and tons of fun
- Oct 16 – Michigan Mead Cup – Awards Ceremony – 5PM ET
- Oct 30 – Maryland Beer, Wine and Spirits Festival – Clear Skies Meadery, Maryland Meadworks and the Buzz Meadery will be pouring
- Nov 6 – Suwanee Wine Fest, Suwanee, GA – featuring Etowah Meadery from Dahlonoga, GA
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 1-18-22 Cathy and Mike Rape – The Ferm Meadery in Conroe, TX - January 18, 2022
- 11-23-21 Stephen at Experimeads – SCIENCE of Meadmaking - November 23, 2021
- 11-9-21 Rohan Meadery – Wendy Rohan and Rosie Haines – Mead is big in Texas - November 8, 2021