9-4-18 We’re back after my trip to Australia (yes, we’ll talk about the mead there too). And our first guest now that we’re back is none other than Susan Ruud, co-founder of Prairie Rose Meadery in Fargo, ND. Susan makes pretty amazing mead, and when last I was there, last summer, I ended up getting nearly every one of her meads, because I just couldn’t leave them out. All were excellent.
Susan spoke at the AHA Convention this year, and talked in depth on oaking meads. We’re going to dig into that with her, and see how she uses oak in her award winning meads.
Oaking mead is a very popular topic these days, and there are many approaches to the process. Chips, staves, spirals, barrels, all have their applications, and everyone seems to have a preference.
We’ll be going in depth on Susan’s experiences and ideas on oak, and getting into the meat (lol) of the subject.
See you tonight!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.
Show links and notes
- DraughtLab – Sensory Guide for Craft Beer
- Danny Acevedo – Modern Mead Making Videos
- The Flavor Bible
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Sept 6 – Bos Meadery – Mead to Laugh with Charlie Kojis
- Sept 12 – Buzzed Bee Meadery – O.W.L.S. “Buzzed Bee Meadery” Program
- Sept 22 – Starrlight Meadery – Mead Day Celebration and Fall Festival
- Sept 23 – Black’s Fairy Meadery – Pickle and Pints
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at email@example.com and tell us about it!
She is also an experienced marketing coach and consultant who has recently decided to focus her marketing expertise exclusively on the craft beverage market to help meaderies, cideries, breweries and distilleries expand their business and get more customers while doing what they love.