9–20 Tonight on Gotmead Live at 9PM ET, we’re bringing back Sergio, and we’re going to turn him and Kevin loose on session meads.
If you’ve been around mead (or have been listening to GML for a while), you’ll know that Sergio is owner of Melovino Meadery in Vauxhall, NJ. Sergio just celebrated five years open, and in the last two years, he’s been rapidly expanding his meadery’s offerings with his Mead Bar, where they serve an ever-changing variety of session meads, generally in small batches.
The meads have been wildly popular, and you’ve got to move fast if you want to try them, they sell out fast. The meads range all over the spectrum, from bold fruity to tea to peppers to spices. And some of the mixtures are pretty imaginative.
At first, these meads were only available at the Mead Bar (much to the frustration of those of us not in NJ), but as COVID picked up, Sergio put in a canning line, and started canning the meads. And now they’re going like hotcakes, all over the country.
And we’ll have Kevin Meintsma back again as a guest host. Kevin is a dedicated mead maker, and his favorites are sessions. And he’s pretty darn good at it. I’ve had the opportunity to try some of his meads, and they were all excellent.
So we’re going to talk *more* on sessions. Since it’s a hot topic both for home and commercial mead makers, and as a mead making approach seems to be approaching one of the most popular styles, we’re going to dig further into it.
Come on in and have a listen!
Join us on the live chat and don’t be afraid to call in if you want to!
This player will show the most recent show, and when we’re live, will play the live feed. If you are calling in, please turn off the player sound, so we don’t get feedback.[break] [break]Click here to see a playable list of all our episodes!
If you want to ask your mead making questions, you can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323) or send us a question via email, or via Twitter @GotmeadNow and we’ll tackle it online! 9PM EDT/6PM PDT Join us on live chat during the show Bring your questions and your mead, and let’s talk mead! You can call us at 803-443-MEAD (6323), or Skype us at meadwench (please friend me first and say you’re a listener, I get tons of Skype spam), or tweet to @gotmeadnow.
- September 15 – Florida Mead – Brian Wing, Cody Lenz and Joe Leigh
- September 22 – Keith Seiz and Alison Wuebbels, National Honey Board
Show links and notes
- MeadMadeRight calculator
- Optimizing Honey Fermentation – Ken Schramm
- Winebusiness for finding grapes and juice
- Finding good low cost wines – WineX – check 10 under 10
- Let There Be Melomels by Rob Ratliff
- The Big Book of Mead Recipes by Rob Ratliff
- Take part in Kevin Meintsma’s Hydromel Study – email firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll send you questions
- National Honey Board Mead Crafter Compeitition
- Sept 10 – Hive and Barrel Meadery – Fall Music Series Presented by Kentucky Artisans Distiller at Oldham Gardens
- Sept 11 – Three Rangers Brewing Company Grand Opening, owned by Blair Housley of Etowah Meadery.
- Sept 11 – Honnibrook Meadery – Lindsey Giffey Live
- Sept 17-19 – Valkyries Horn Mead Competiton – registration until Aug 22.
The one and only KEN SCHRAMM will judge the GOLD medal winners from the Valkyries Horn Mead Competition to determine the Best Of Show!He’s consented to do a virtual tour of his meadery, film his commentary for the top 5 meads, provide a Q&A session after the awards ceremony, AND do a virtual tasting walkthrough of ‘The Statement’ (you might want to order one to follow along)!Join them at 7pm on Saturday September 19th for the awards ceremony to see the BOS mead revealed by Ken.Submit your questions to email@example.com and see if Ken will answer your questions.
- Sept 20 – Trazo Meadery – Brunch at the Meadery!
- September 26-October 1 – Mazer Cup International Competition
- October 1 – Valhalla – The Meading of Life Mead Competition – deadline for entries is 9-19, judging starts 10-1
- You can buy mead online at https://shopmeads.com
Got an event you’d like us to mention on GotMead Live? Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and tell us about it!
- 7-27-2021 Danique Staal- De Noordelijke Mederij, Netherlands - July 27, 2021
- 7-13-21 Frank Golbeck and Alyson Schramm Naeger – The Mead Institute - July 13, 2021
- 6-24-21 Gert Smet – The Blacksmith’s Meadery, Antwerp Belgium - June 24, 2021