I’ve made this rhodomel numerous times. This mead is an instant favorite among anyone who loves mead (and to some that don’t!). The richness of the Acacia honey combined with the spicy, floral character of rose hips is a wonderful combination. Fast to make and easy to drink!
Acacia Rose BOMM
- 3.5 pounds Acacia/Black Locust Honey
- 1/4 tsp Potassium Carbonate
- 3/4 tsp DAP Split into 3 additions of 1/4 tsp.
- 1.5 tsp Fermaid K Split into 3 additions of 1/2 tsp.
- 3 ounces Dried Whole Rose Hips
- 3/4 gallon Ozarka spring water
- 1 smack pack Wyeast 1388 Activate for 2-3 hours before pitching.
- Add 3.5 lbs Acacia/Black Locust honey to a 1 gallon carboy.
- Added water to halfway.
- Added 1/4 tsp KHCO3.
- Added 1/4 tsp DAP & 1/2 tsp Fermaid K. (Add again at 1.100 & 1.060.)
- Mix thoroughly.
- Add water 1/2 cup shy of a gallon and mix again.
- Pitch 1 activated pack of Wyeast 1388.
- Degas every day by stirring. Once a 1.060 is reached, add 3 ounces of whole dried rose hips.
- When the gravity hits 1.020, cold crash until clear and bottle. Ready to drink immediately, but this mead ages very well.
- The Newbee Guide to Making Mead – Chapter 2:Honey - April 15, 2020
- The NewBee Guide to Making Mead – Chapter 6: The Basic Recipe - June 6, 2019
- The NewBee Guide to Making Mead – Chapter 5: Terminology and Calculations - June 6, 2019