• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ancient Orange Cinnamon & Clove Mead

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Panzer,

If you live in an area where there are Mexican markets you can find some cinnamon tea (usually canela) which is pretty powerful stuff. You could try limited steeping time in your mead with one of the teabags.

Oskaar

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Joe,

Have you ever done this in a 3 gallon batch? I'm wondering if trippling the recipe will work as well as it does in the 1 gallon batch.

I've already got 3 gallon carboys begging for use, and I"d have to come up with a 1 galllon jug if I do it by the original recipe.

... of course "shaking the daylights" out of a 3 gallon carboy could be something for Americas Funniest Videos...

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
David Baldwin said:
Joe,

Have you ever done this in a 3 gallon batch? I'm wondering if trippling the recipe will work as well as it does in the 1 gallon batch.

I've already got 3 gallon carboys begging for use, and I"d have to come up with a 1 galllon jug if I do it by the original recipe.(snip)
As a matter of fact, Yes, I have. Batch #19. From my notes, the only thing I did differently was use 9 lbs of clover and 1 lb of buckwheat and put in 3 oz of Watkins double strength Vanilla when it was finished. Otherwise, I followed same instructions except I used 2 cloves per gallon instead of my one in previous tries. It was done in exactly 6 weeks from start to clear without racking. The yeast likes warmer temperatures. I did it in a kitchen cabinet where it was 74 degrees. Smells wonderful while making. Got 12 large and 2 half bottles of clear mead. Waiting for Christmas to break open.
Joe

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Thanks Joe I'll start a 3 gallon batch this week.

... by the way... how did you "shake the heck" out of a 3 gallon carboy??? ;D

I assume that I could combine ingredients in my primary bucket and aerate there before pouring/racking into the carboy...???

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Um I have an idea!

Bikini models shaking those carboys for all they're worth. I think there would be a pretty wide male demographic for a spot on the Superbowl! It could happen!

Where's my producer???

Oskaar

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Oskaar.....
I'm ashamed of you.... making those skinny little bikini models shake 3 gallon carboys.... they wouldn't have the strength. ;D
Now a woman with meat on her bones could do the mead justice..... ;)
Don't sacrifice your meadmaking with a pitiful aeration technique... just for the scenery.

Love to all... :-* Suzy Q Brewmistress

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Joe,

I started my 3 gallon batch tonight. I had to measure my honey by volume rather than weight, so I'm close, but how close I don't know.

My SG is about 1.120 is that about right for this?

lbaker

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 24, 2004
www.moremead.com
My almost ancient version is...

Well, my Almost Ancient Orange, Cinnamon & Clove mead is CLEAR! I'm going to get the bottles clean up and sanitized tonight and it should go in the bottle tomorrow night. I tasted a sample about 2 weeks ago, and it was quite pleasant then, and I imagine even better now. The timing is excellent since I'm having a Halloween party this weekend! I plan to introduce a bunch of people that have never had mead to both my Cyser and this almost Ancient OCC mead.

(Thanks for the recipe Joe!)

Lyle

http://www.moremead.com/mead_logs/20040914_OCC.html

aghori

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2004
Well I've joined the club and have made the ancient orange cinnamon & clove mead.

I mixed 3 lb of clover and 1/2 lb orange blossom honey. Recipe ... Joe's to the letter.

I hope this would be ready for new years!!!

aghori

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 18, 2004
This is a thing of beauty. The 3-4 inches on top of the glass jar is filled with foam and the airlock goes once every 15 - 20 seconds or so.

This is so easy compared to the other batch of dry mead I'm making and is so simple to make its beautiful.

Aggie4You

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
I started mine last night with a few slight modifications

I used Lalvin 1116 (it's all I had available)
I added an extra 1/2 lb of honey (because of the yeast used... I'm not sure it will be enough though... we'll see)
I used 3 cloves (what can I say, I'm a glutton for punishment).

I was going to take an OG reading, but it turns out my wife accidentally broke my hydrometer... I've got another one (3 actually) coming.

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
My Joe's Ancient OC&C is about a month old now... I did an SG & taste test on all my meads batches (7) yesterday...
My Ancient OC&C
Fleishman's Bread Yeast
10-11-04 - SG - 1.140
11-09-04 - SG - 1.050 est. Brix 13
Should be a med/sweet

My husband and I both agree... of all the batches, even the oldest batch... this one is by far the smoothest one yet. It still has the Alch. taste, but it is so smooth.

Thanks again Jmattioli.

:-* Suzy Q, Brewmistress

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Suzy_Q

Has yours cleared arlread?

I started mine October 20. I didn't have enough honey in it, so I decided to stop fermentation at SG 1.02.

I chilled the carboy, and stopped fermentation with sorbate and metabisulphite.

My batch is showing signs of starting to clear. The oranges have all sunk to the bottom, and some of the raisins have as well.

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
My Ancient OCC hasn't cleared yet... I started mine the 11th of Oct... I want it to go a couple weeks longer before I begin to chill it.

Fruit is till floating at the top... raisins fully bloated.

I wanna follow this recipe to the letter... :) .. so it's gonna sit in it's dark bag for at least another month... before I even think about racking or chilling.

:) Suzy Q

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
WAY TO GO SUZY. Unless temperature is real warm it takes 6 weeks to 2 months. No need to hurry. It will get crystal clear on its own without chilling. If you wait long enough, all the fruit and raisins will go to the bottom, making it easy to rack into bottles. Its always good to attach a coffee filter to the end of your siphon hose so as to get no solids. Works wonderfully. I usually don't wait for everything to go to the bottom. This is the least hassle mead you can make that will turn out fine everytime if you follow instructions faithfully.
Joe

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Next time I make this recipe (hopefully very soon) I will have a scale to measure my honey by weight rather than by volume.

I thought that I had enough honey in it until I checked the SG.

It will be fun to compare the differences between the two batches.

The local winemaking supply shop is getting to know me all too well. When I walk in, they go for another carboy and airlock! ;D