• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Ancient Orange Cinnamon & Clove Mead

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
P.S. addendum to 1 st post page 1

Authors Note:
P.S. This recipe works well and produces a very good mead that doesn't require alot of aging though it does get better with time. The procedures followed show how simple and easy mead is to make and enjoy. This recipe's purpose is to be fun, exciting and encourage you to learn more with at least one successful mead under your belt without waiting long and at a minimal entry cost. It is unorthodox in that it disregards many of the customary rules practiced by many successful mead makers. These include but are not limited to not using bread yeast, not racking off the lees, not rehydrating the yeast prior to pitching, not stirring in the yeast, not taking SG readings and using the rind of oranges without removing the pith which usually causes nasty bitterness . So as a courtesy to those concerned individuals I would like to advise you to study and learn more about mead making practices as variations of this recipe might not produce the same desired results. This is an ancient recipe and everything in this recipe works together to make a tasety mead. However, there is much more to learn before attempting some of these practices with other recipes. Being a pragmatic individual I often do the opposite of prescribed methods in search of something different and unique or to prove a contrary point. So enjoy and remember there are reasons that a beginner should learn additoinal methology before incorporating these procedures into other meads using different yeasts and different ingredients. Having said that, I hope you will be encouraged to continue your study and learning process, constantly striving to make better meads for all to enjoy.
Sincerely, Joe Mattioli

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Getting ready to make a batch myself...

Is the yeast labelled as bread yeast or just the regular yeast in the baking section? I could not find "bread" yeast but they had normal and fast rising yeasts of Fleischmann's brand...

I got the normal type... Is that what I need?

PSanderson

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
Joe,

Jumping in on this thread late but wanted to say thanks, just made your recipe it's 3Gal but followed your instructions to the letter - it's my second mead ever.

I'll let you know how it goes, but based on everyones feedback I'm expecting good things.

Now - I need to take your advice - don't touch and be patient!

Cheers,
Peter

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
mcfeeley said:
Ok, I'll bite. How ancient is it? :D
Oh! , About a year or so. It's a revisit to ancient times (belonging to times long past especially of the historical period before the fall of the Western Roman Empire) with the exception of the yeast. That's why they call it Joe's Ancient Mead. Because at least one or the other qualifies as ancient. We just don't really know for sure if it is Joe or the Mead! ;D
Joe

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
my batch is now 5 weeks old and crystal clear. i think it is a little to orange bitter tasting. is there something i can do or add to lighten the orange rind taste?
i used 5 large oranges in a five gallon batch, maybe it was to much or they were to big or not ripe enough.
anyway.... any suggestions besides aging longer, i would like to drink some at christmas.
scott

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Idaho,
Sweetness offsets the bite of the orange. Where did it finish at? SG? You can sweeten it a bit with honey or just wait a few weeks. It mellows quickly. Be tough, remember you are Viking material. A little bitterness is good.
Seriously, If it finished lower than 1.020 then it should be sweetened up a bit. Otherwise, just a short time will do wonders. It is a young mead.
Joe

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
it's .025 on the nose and very clear. i racked it to a clean carboy and replaced the lock. i still get a bubble about every 5 minutes or so.

i have not added anything to it.

i'll drink a vial on the 24th and check it out, might just have to wait a couple more weeks and drink store bought mead :-X

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
While I'm waiting for my first batch of mead to finish, I want to make a batch of JAO.

My only question is this: Do I have to worry about bottle bombs with this recipe? Or if I let it totally clear after the 2+ month period, will that be enough time to just bottle? I can't see having to add any sulphite or sorbate in this since it's an "ancien" recipe.

Thanks again.

Jason

sandman

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Feb 5, 2007
Hartford, Huntingdon, United Kingdom
Bottle bombs shouldn't be an issue with this recipe. It's a still mead, not a sparkling mead. Don't prime the bottles before filling them and you should be fine. Of course that's as long as the mead has finished fermenting. If it's clear, it's all over except for the aging.

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
Sandman said:
Bottle bombs shouldn't be an issue with this recipe. It's a still mead, not a sparkling mead. Don't prime the bottles before filling them and you should be fine. Of course that's as long as the mead has finished fermenting. If it's clear, it's all over except for the aging.
That's what I figured. Just as long as it was given time to clear on it's own, it would be fine. Thanks again sandman.

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
I just whipped up a batch of this JAO and once I was done adding everything and aerating it, I realized that I added 4lbs of honey, not 3 1/2 lbs. Is this going to be a problem? Do I need to add a little more yeast when I do or will this wine just be sweeter and take longer to ferment? Hopefully somone can answer in the next hour or so. Thanks again. Jason

Kwatt

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2006
It will finish sweeter than normal.

Adding more of the same yeast will not change anything.

I shorted a batch by half a pound once. I hardly noticed a difference.

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
Great thanks. I can rest easy then. I checked on it about an hour after dumping the yeast in and gently swirling it aroung and it was beginning to bubble a little bit in the airlock and there was some foam on top of the fruit that was floating on top. Now I just wait. Thanks again.

Kwatt

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 3, 2006
Resting easy may be a good idea right about now.
Once it is finished and you taste it you may not want to take time to rest.
That's providing you can rest once you start smelling IT!

Just opened a bottle of the first JAO I made, it is only ~six months old.
And it is just satisfyingly excellent.

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
I know what you mean. It smelled great when I was making it...the honey and citrus. This is a test batch. If all works well, I may multiply the recipe to make a 5 gallon batch. It definitely was alot easier to make than the first one I made back in march. I racked it last week and still waiting to clear.

da_rambler20

NewBee
Registered Member
May 3, 2007
Jmattioli said:
WAY TO GO SUZY. Unless temperature is real warm it takes 6 weeks to 2 months. No need to hurry. It will get crystal clear on its own without chilling. If you wait long enough, all the fruit and raisins will go to the bottom, making it easy to rack into bottles. Its always good to attach a coffee filter to the end of your siphon hose so as to get no solids. Works wonderfully. I usually don't wait for everything to go to the bottom. This is the least hassle mead you can make that will turn out fine everytime if you follow instructions faithfully.
Joe
How do you attach a coffee filter to the end of the siphon hose? A sanitized rubber band?

2nd: Has anyone made a 5 gal batch by just multiplying the original recipe by 5? Just curious. Also a little curious about the yeast. Just multiply that by 5 as well?

Thanks again everyone.