• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Beuller? ... Beuller?

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
So, am I the only Meridian on this board? :-[

Hmm, guess I'll have to fix that.

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
S'ok Val, i think I'm the only one from An Tir. As far as I know (and I'm not actually IN the SCA so I could be wrong) we dont have an established brewing guild.

May have to look into that when I get time.

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Well, I just posted a link here to the Meridian brewer's list, so maybe we'll get a few folks that way.

We don't have a guild, either :'(

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
I live in the kingdom of Meridies within the Shire of Ardanroe.

The only problem is that since I'm not a member of the SCA (alas, I have researched it but don't know what or who to be.....) I feel uncomfortable posting in that part of the forums.

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
You can join up before you decide on a persona. Virtually everyone does, in fact.

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Mynx said:
S'ok Val, i think I'm the only one from An Tir. As far as I know (and I'm not actually IN the SCA so I could be wrong) we dont have an established brewing guild.

May have to look into that when I get time.
I have found web pages for three Brewers Guilds in An Tir. I just posted those links in the An Tir forum.

Donal
mka: Brian K

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
remclave said:
I live in the kingdom of Meridies within the Shire of Ardanroe.

The only problem is that since I'm not a member of the SCA (alas, I have researched it but don't know what or who to be.....) I feel uncomfortable posting in that part of the forums.
Just jump right into these forums. I know you'll learn a lot, whether you are part of the SCA or not.

Donal
mka: Brian K

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Val said:
You can join up before you decide on a persona. Virtually everyone does, in fact.
:D

That is excellent to hear!

I checked the Shire and didn't find any local brewing guilds. Still, I talked to my husband and told him about brewing with the SCA in mind. He likes the idea but said, I don't have any oak barrels for aging. I told him they can be got.

This is a REALLY exciting time!

Val

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
I don't know anyone who ages in oak barrels.

Actually, it's a moot point, mead in period wasn't aged. They did short meads and drank it immediately.

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Val said:
I don't know anyone who ages in oak barrels.

Actually, it's a moot point, mead in period wasn't aged. They did short meads and drank it immediately.
I think he meant barrels (kegs) for beer. Ah well, I'll stick to my mead! :D I am NOT a beer person! LOL!

briankettering

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 2, 2005
Andrew Buhl said:
I am from AN TIR as well. BTW dont ever buy a USED oak barrel.
Storing mead in barrels previously used to store or ship sherry is a period (or slightly out-of-period) according to Digbie.

Did you have a problem with a used barrel?

Donal

andrew_buhl

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2005
The problem isn't as severe with barrels that previously held hard liqour as the liqour is anti-septic. Barrels that held wine are prone to bacterial infections that can produce vinegar (or worse). This happens most frequently with barrels that have not been properly cleaned or have been warehoused outside. You can order new barrels and have them charred, but the barrels have to be conditioned and it's fairly expensive. You can do the same thing under more sanitary conditions by using oak chips or cubes in a carboy. Its cleaner and cheaper, and the results are much the same. If you wanted the 'renesance' feel for an SCA event, buy a small new barrel and seal the inside with beeswax or condition it and just use it at the event.

Salut!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi Andrew,

Here in California the supply of second hand barrels is pretty easily accessible and they are of high quality. Many of the wineries sell them for a very reasonable price and they are in great shape and well cared for so they are not prone to infection nor will they produce vinegar. Anyone selling barrels like that would be drummed out the the barrel selling business in a hurry by his angry victims and the bureau of consumer affairs here in Sunny California. It's been my experience that poor maintenance and improper cleaning and storage of the barrels by the consumer is the problem with most barrel infections.

Also, using chips and cubes is in no way equivalent to barrel aging in extraction, aging, oak integration and flavor characters imbued to the mead aged in a barrel. Cubes and chips are very good and very convinient to use in your aging vessels and are definately less expensive, simpler and give a nice oak character to mead. But, there is a definate difference that can be tasted between oak alternatives and oak barrels in the end product. In wines I can generally tell you if it has been oaked with an alternative or in a barrel, there are of course exceptions.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Doc

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 25, 2006
I have yet to join the SCA, but am planning on it shortly.

I am in North Alabama, and am a brewer as well as mead maker. Not much of a wine fan so I stay away fromt he grape makings....

Doc

Muirghein Tarot

NewBee
Registered Member
May 28, 2006
So we have a few others here who live in the south and put on strange clothing ( Are you in a play?) Well we may not have a guild but there is some good mead made in kingdom and some truly high octaine jet fuel by the way Doc what part of north Alabama? thirty five year native of Iron mountain (birmingham)

A

Alkane

Hi!..wait,no....Howdy!
I'll chime in since I'm in Alabama. Unfortunately I'm not in the SCA but thought I would at least give a Hail to everyone else in the Meridies.

Would have said hello sooner, but quite honestly this is the first time I've scrolled the main forum page down past the mewbie section ;D

Yarmur

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 3, 2006
Just wanted to say hello as well and until I just looked up what the SCA is, I had no idea. I live in panhandle of Florida a stones throw country mile from Tupelo country. Glad to meet ya'll.

Chris