• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

BOMM taste like beer?

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers

Lt. Dang

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Hi all,

Made my first batch of mead late last year - a 1 Gallon BOMM following the new staggered nutrient protocol (and none of Bray's optional post fermentation notes). I chose this recipe after reading a number of comments across forums and podcasts saying the taste was clean and unbeer-like.

Now, my batch tastes very much like beer. The only difference I know of, is I used a 5L carboy throughout the process, so there was a lot of headroom during fermentation and the few weeks between racking and bottling.

So I'm wondering if this is just how it is? I mean, it is an ale yeast. Or are there things that I could've missed that are known to promote the ale flavour - e.g. was the post-racking headroom a factor? Lees formed in the post-rack carboy - was this a sign it wasn't ready to be racked?

I'm open to all suggestions because I've got another smack pack and I'm not keen to produce the same results.

Thanks,
Dan

Dan O

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
Hi all,

Made my first batch of mead late last year - a 1 Gallon BOMM following the new staggered nutrient protocol (and none of Bray's optional post fermentation notes). I chose this recipe after reading a number of comments across forums and podcasts saying the taste was clean and unbeer-like.

Now, my batch tastes very much like beer. The only difference I know of, is I used a 5L carboy throughout the process, so there was a lot of headroom during fermentation and the few weeks between racking and bottling.

So I'm wondering if this is just how it is? I mean, it is an ale yeast. Or are there things that I could've missed that are known to promote the ale flavour - e.g. was the post-racking headroom a factor? Lees formed in the post-rack carboy - was this a sign it wasn't ready to be racked?

I'm open to all suggestions because I've got another smack pack and I'm not keen to produce the same results.

Thanks,
Dan
How long was it in primary before you racked it? What was your OG & FG? The lees in the conditioning/secondary carboy is likely because it was racked on the early side.

I would suggest starting your ferment in the 5 liter, as full as you can,....without spill over, (obviously) , then, when you rack off of the gross lees, rack into a 1 gallon carboy for conditioning, that way, you have enough to fill the 1 gallon all the way with minimal headspace, & maybe still a little left over for your glass😉😋....or for a Mason jar for an experiment🤨🤔.
But, also, be aware, if you go to 5 liters & don't adjust ingredients accordingly, it won't taste like a BOMM, which could be where your issue began.🤔

BOMM is good right out of the fermentor, but, it does improve with age, like most other meads.

I wish I could answer your concerns as to how or why this happened, but, that's all I can think to do, hope it's helpful.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:

Lt. Dang

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 23, 2021
Melbourne, Australia
Thanks for your response Dan.

OG: 1.090 / FG: 1.000

It was in the primary for 12 days, the final day or two in the fridge because I read that cold crashing would help the yeast settle to the bottom. In hindsight I could have left it in primary longer, including leaving it in the fridge longer. I didn't know any better. At the time I had noticed the gravity hadn't changed in a few days so I thought it was done fermenting, and moved it to the fridge in prep for racking. If that's not correct, then I'm still not sure when the correct time to rack is.

I'm in Australia where a gallon isn't a thing, hence the closest volume containers I could get were the 5 litre carboys. Maybe that container difference should have been a red flag, and maybe I was naive, but I didn't think anything of it.

I see he's posted a 5 Litre JAO variant. As much as I would have liked starting with a "plain" mead, I'm thinking I'm better off following that for the next batch. At least until I work out what works and what doesn't. Let's just hope I don't stuff that one up as well!

Dan

Reactions: Dan O

Dan O

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Registered Member
Oct 12, 2020
New Hampshire, USA
Thanks for your response Dan.

OG: 1.090 / FG: 1.000

It was in the primary for 12 days, the final day or two in the fridge because I read that cold crashing would help the yeast settle to the bottom. In hindsight I could have left it in primary longer, including leaving it in the fridge longer. I didn't know any better. At the time I had noticed the gravity hadn't changed in a few days so I thought it was done fermenting, and moved it to the fridge in prep for racking. If that's not correct, then I'm still not sure when the correct time to rack is.

I'm in Australia where a gallon isn't a thing, hence the closest volume containers I could get were the 5 litre carboys. Maybe that container difference should have been a red flag, and maybe I was naive, but I didn't think anything of it.

I see he's posted a 5 Litre JAO variant. As much as I would have liked starting with a "plain" mead, I'm thinking I'm better off following that for the next batch. At least until I work out what works and what doesn't. Let's just hope I don't stuff that one up as well!

Dan
You're welcome, Dan.
Yes, you racked it way too soon. It happens. By all means, I would follow the 5 liter recipe...to the letter, if @ all possible. The BOMM protocol works....IF you follow it. Don't be afraid to leave it on the lees either.
I left mine in primary until 43 days after I pitched the yeast.
The 30 days is under ideals conditions,...i.e. a controlled environment, perfect timing for nutrient additions, how much you degas, ph, what kind of water & the yeast you use. All of these things being ideal, will give you a 30 day mead. If you have variances, your time may be altered to 25 days or even 43 days, like mine was.
With mead, patience is key. Time is your friend. Believe me, age will make it better. Keep us posted on the 5 liter version when you do it. I'll be curious to know if it makes the difference for you.
I hope this helps.
Happy meading 😎

Reactions: stmcw
The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns