• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Braggot questions

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
So here's the recipe

1 lb. extra light DME
2 lb. light DME (Dry Malt Extract)
9 lb. Clover honey
1.2 lb. 20L Crystal Malt
1 oz. Chinook hops
2 tsp. Irish moss
1 packet ale yeast (Nottingham Ale)
Sparge salts before boil.

Heated two gallons water and steeped crushed crystal malt at 170F for 30 mins. Removed grain bag, brought to boil and added DME and boiled for an hour. Added the hops at 30 minutes and Irish moss at 15 minutes before flameout. Removed from heat, cooled to about 150F and added honey. Racked too a six gallon carboy and added 3 gallons of cool water to top up to 5 gallons.

SG 1.091
?FG 1.00

Nottingham has a high yeast tolerance up to 11-11.5% from what I've read. With the amount of Crystal malt being used, will it still turn out dry? If I want it a little sweet should I add a little more honey or will it still turn dry (since honey sugars are 100% fermentable)?

Lastly, is no aeration needed? I've read one post where someone had for the first 2-3 days.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
My Brewpal software says your FG will be around 1.01 due to grain unfermentables.

That's 12.2% which may be a strain for Notty to reach. Cut the honey to 8 lbs and all will be well.

Aeration is fine for the first 2-3 days, but after that, avoid O2 at all costs!

Better brewing through science!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Nah. Too busy or too lazy. I might swirl it some just to resuspend the yeast.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Probably shouldn't add anymore honey? I will have enough sweetness and body with the crystal malt or at least the body... right?
You can always step feed later to avoid stressing the yeast. You really don't want a sweet Braggot. Made that mistake before.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
You can always step feed later to avoid stressing the yeast. You really don't want a sweet Braggot. Made that mistake before.
Alright no more touching. I'm just going to let it do it's own thing. Ok, I mixed some fermaid O in just for kicks... but after that no more touching.

Thanks again love of rose

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
No irony intended - That is to say I am asking out of curiosity rather than because I think I know the answer: I am a novice brewer. Is there a need to boil DME for an hour even if you are adding crystal malt? If you are adding hops for 30 mins why wouldn't a 30 minute boil not be sufficient? Wouldn't boiling DME for 60 minutes not result in a darker brew than might otherwise result using light and extra light DME?

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
No irony intended - That is to say I am asking out of curiosity rather than because I think I know the answer: I am a novice brewer. Is there a need to boil DME for an hour even if you are adding crystal malt? If you are adding hops for 30 mins why wouldn't a 30 minute boil not be sufficient? Wouldn't boiling DME for 60 minutes not result in a darker brew than might otherwise result using light and extra light DME?
Valid point, I am a beginner when it comes to brewing. I'm using the infamous Joe M's recipe as a jumping point. He suggests to boil light DME for an hour also steeping grains for 20 minutes. I did come across an old thread started by you after I had finished my wort. You were going to dissolve the DME in warm water, right? Although Medsen mentioned something the proteins causing a haze. Did you have any problems clearing?

I'll tweak it to a 15-30 minute boil for the next time. At least I'll have a lot of body with this one. Thanks for the advice.

Here's Joe's recipe http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthread.php/8313-Braggot

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I just checked my notes and they are not complete. I don't take time to file (sigh) I see I used a very similar recipe and the recipe does suggest that we boil the DME but I had already fermented the mead and decided to transform this into a braggot because I thought the mead was not very good. But I am still not sure if I boiled the DME for 60 minutes or heated the DME only for the amount of time needed to isomerize the hops.

pokerfacepablo

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 17, 2012
St. Cloud, MN
Well day 4 and the bubbling in the airlock continues although it isn't as vigorous like 2 days ago. I've heard Nottingham works kind of fast. Anyone with similar results? Plan is to let it go for two weeks and transfer to a glass carboy... rack and bulk age as needed.

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members