• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Brewlog - Flowery Kilt Scottish Stong Ale (Wee Heavy)

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Specialty Grains
8 oz Caramel 20L
2 oz Biscuit Malt
1 oz Roasted Baley
1 oz Peated Malt
-Hold at 170 F 25 minutes in 2.5 gallons water.
Add 12 lbs Maris Otter extract, water to 5 gallons, and bring to a boil.
Add the following hop schedule:
1.5 oz Syrian Goldings for 1 hour
2 oz Fuggles for 10 minutes.
Added 1.5 lbs of honey and 4 oz heather flowers at 1 minute before flameout.
Cooled with a wort chiller.
Pitched a 2 liter starter of Wyeast 1728 Scottish Ale.
SG 1.097 IBU 25 - Setup a blow off tube. That turned out to be a wonderful idea.
Bubbling away vigorously at 24 hrs.

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Day 5 - 1.012!? Wow. 11% ABV!
I expected a FG of 1.02. That is an attenuation of 87%!

Well, I wanted a winter warmer. Careful what you wish for...

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Day 22 - Definitely finished. Substantially more clear, but not clear enough. I wonder if the heather will add some haze that won't go away?

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Pitch temp was 78 F. I will age it until winter hits.
How long is that you say? In Texas, it could be September or December!:)

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Day 25 - Tasted very thin with LOTS of peat. Try again cold before bottling.

Day 31 - Tried cold. Very good. It's so light you would never guess it is so strong. The peat died a lot since Day 22 (Thank God), but very balanced. I don't get a lot of heather right now, but it is there. I'll bottle this weekend.*
I don't think it fits a Scottish Ale anymore due to the high attenuation/low FG. Instead, it is Very strong, very drinkable, delicious beer than is even better than a Scottish Ale and defies the stupid guidelines!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Bottled Day 35.
As of last weekend, the flowery kilt has been bottled 2 months...
So I tried it...

Very good carbonation with a thick, rich head that dies fairly quick.
Malty with spicy notes of heather and a small amount of alcohol. Peat is very weak, but I think appropriate. Half a pint of this 12% ABV monster and you feel it! I should have called it "The Kilted ClusterF*%#"!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Finally got some cold weather. Enjoyed quite a bit of this last night. It has really developed into something wonderful.

Before, I could barely detect any heather. Now, the first smell and taste is intense heather. It has a wonderful spicy note that compliments the Maris otter malt. Despite the massive amount of malt, the beer is actually very light with lots of carbonation. Although it is pushing 13% ABV, you can't taste any alcohol. It is very easy to drink. For better or worse!

loveofrose

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Nov 9, 2012
Texas
Month 11
This stuff has aged really well. It is very light with a strong heather note followed by a nice malty backbone. A bit of smokiness has shown itself now in the back palette. It only takes a few sips to realize this one is going straight to your head.

Next winter this will be phenomenal.

Better brewing through science!

The Only Mead Competition Judged by Real Buyers