• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Campden Substutute?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Docsab

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 10, 2022
Wrightstown, PA
I am making my second batch of mead which is very dry. I want to stabilize and backsweeten but I don't tolerate sulfites well- not an allergy but just terrible headaches with even small amounts. Was wondering what other additives/methods can effectively stop fermentation reliably enough to avoid any increase in ABV and feel comfortable bottling. Want to avoid heating/pasteurizing. Read all kind of things in my searches but do not trust the sources. Would appreciate some feedback from the experienced brewers here.

Many thanks

jjhodge3

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 28, 2019
N Charlotte NC
Invest in kegs in CO2 and you won’t have to worry about bottling. You can finish them dry and back sweeten as long as they’re in a keg if they referment it’s OK.

Docsab

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 10, 2022
Wrightstown, PA
Thanks JJ. The article was interesting but basically states the sulfites are needed and sulfite headaches are a myth. I have been tested and I definitely have a sensitivity so I was hoping there was some alternative out there. I know some brewers don't use sulfites but the risk of making salad dressing out of my homegrown honey is not a chance I want to take but it is looking like no simple effective alternatives are available

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns