• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Clearing mead

TarlaR

NewBee
Registered Member
May 15, 2020
Hello everyone, first time posting so please forgive me an give advice to do better in the future if I screw up.

I’m in the process of making two types of meads. One is a 5 gallon batch of traditional sack mead. Round 33lbs of honey total for it, while the other is a lesser version of it with roughly 2lbs of honey in a 1liter batch.

Both are in primary, but I’ve noticed they’re very cloudy. I just started the 1liter batch two or three days ago, and it’s taken off pretty well. I started the 5 gallon batch about a month ago an it’s still slightly bubbling but no where near as much as it did before. Should I go ahead and rack this or wait longer? I did have the SG written on a post it note on the side of it, but sadly my dog enjoyed eating it as a snack one day while I was out.

Along with that I’m wishing to clear the meads cloudiness. There’s maybe 5-10% visibility in the 5 gallon batch at best, and roughly 10% in the liter batch. I heard SuperKleer would work well, though as I’m very inexperienced I had worried about pouring or putting it into the batches. Would this be good an if not what would be better ways to clear the mead?

Thank you,
Tarla

Skropi

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Apr 5, 2020
You really have to check whether fermentation has stopped first. One month does seem like a lot of time to be still fermenting, so I have to ask, did you use nutrients?
Don't be in a hurry to clarify it. When fermentation stops, you first need to taste it and decide if you are going to backsweeten it, and/or oak it, after you stabilise it of course. Only after backsweetening and oaking, should you start thinking about clarification. After fermentation halts, that means that you need around two months, give or take, before you even think about finning it.
You can rack off the gross lees early though, before stabilising, but if you didn't get reduction problems, it is not necessary.

EricHartman

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 4, 2019
Indiana
tarla, during the primary fermentation do not concern yourself with clarity. in fact you want your yeast up in suspension doing work not sitting on the bottom of your fermentor so you should stir it around every so often following the feeding protocols. Once your primary is done (specific gravity no longer changing over 2-3 readings) you'll throw it in a fridge for 10-14 days for a "cold crash". this will help with flocculation (getting all of the tiny "big" stuff to stick together and drop to the bottom of your fermentor. Then you will rack off these gross lees and the secondary will begin. Here is when you add oak etc to adjust your flavor, honeywater to backsweeten, and finally worry if you need a fining agent/filtration.