• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Computer Games

Barrel Char Wood Products

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
OK, how many of you out there play games on your computer. I'm personally now addicted to ROME: TOTAL WAR and can't get enough of it.

What personal computer based games to you folks play and enjoy?

cheers,

Oskaar

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
I'm real big on Medieval: Total War. I don't have the computer for Rome, but I've played alot of it on a friend's computer. I have to say Medieval is better in every way except the graphics because the engine is better, you have more freedom and better response from soldiers when you control them.

I get frustrated on Rome when you try to get someone to go somewhere and instead they walk right into a wall of spears. I never had that problem on Medieval.

Plus you can be the vikings in Medieval! ;D

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I have never played Rome or Medieval but I played Shogun: Total War when it came out. I was blown away by the complexity. I assume the engine has improved quite a bit since then. I remember my biggest problem with the game was the fact that after choosing 'full install' and promptly putting 2.5G of 'stuff' on my HD (back then 2.5G was the biggest game ever except maybe BladeRunner) I still had to have the damn CD in the drive to play the game.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yup, still the CD in the drive situation even now. I've seen that with a ton of different applications and no one has the same reason for doing it. They should just be able to to a full install and leave it at that. The games would respond that much quicker.

I love RTW but haven't played Shogun or Medieval. Funny, I've been in the computer business since about 1979-1980 and this is really the first game that I've ever been interested in playing. RTW does have some weird quirks in the battles, but I've seen similar gripes about MTW and STW on the game boards too. To me, it's nutty that artillary (onager, ballista, scorpion, etc.) take up a troop slot in the game. If I want three pieces of artillary, I'm stuck with three sub-par groups of fighters once I detach them from their main weapon.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
I'm not a great fan of war in my living room be it in any form so may i please add one vote for "Bookworm" from popcap games, enyoyable and only moderatly addicting but still plenty fun ;D

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Oskaar said:
Yup, still the CD in the drive situation even now. I've seen that with a ton of different applications and no one has the same reason for doing it. They should just be able to to a full install and leave it at that. The games would respond that much quicker.

Yeah they do that on purpose. They don't want people installing and then passing the cd on to their friends. What a shame. :(

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
I just recently managed to pry myself from World of Warcraft.... fun game, but its definatly a life siphon :-\

now I'm back to my normal healthy routine of unreal tournament 2004 and neverwinter nights :)

I played shogun total war alot :)
I realy enjoyed the assasination options ;)

Berg

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2005
I know what you mean about life siphon, DigitalDruid. I finally dragged myself away from an Ultima Online addiction. 6 years!
I was in the army for 4 years in there somewhere and can barely remember it!

Berg

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I play a bit of UT2k4 as well. Since I am generally a linux guy I have limited options but they are getting better. I have also played a bit of America's Army, UO, and EQ. I also like some of the older (but still activly developed) titles. I love nethack, bzFlag, XPilot. I used to play Falcon 4.0 quite a bit.

I also like to play away from my 'puter every once in a while. I like Axis & Allies, Chess, Go, and Diplomacy.

Oh, and what self respecting nerd hasn't played good old D&D?

Anyone here ever play CarWars?

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I played D&D back when it came out and then migrated away from it into better Roleplaying systems. I still do a bit of RPing online in MUD's. I am currently trying to program my own... Anyone know C++ in depth? I could use some advice...

I play non-realtime wargames on my computer when I find one that tweaks my fancy. I have also been wasting way too much time on Sims2 that my daughter had us get for her for Christmas...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I've had a couple of friends who stopped showing up to Friday night poker games because of Sims. We finally shamed them into showing up again, mostly because they were poor card players. LOL

I have a couple of shelves full of D&D books, Arduin, etc. I loved playing D&D but then 2nd, 3rd editions came out and screwed wizards, then all of the modules and their special rules came out so each game started turning into a series of at-length debates about prevailing editions, rules, modules, and exceptions thereof. Add that to an hour and a half commute to work, and I hung up my dice in disgust.

Hated to do that because it was a lot more fun than poker, but the administrative overhead was over-boat!

Cheers,

Oskaar

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Car Wars ROCKED!!! That was my favorite game for YEARS. Man, those were the days. ;D

I love huge wargames, World in Flames, Pacific War, etc. Too bad playing them never happens these days. Gotta be able to protect it from kids and cats, and play it for an hour every third day all by myself. That means computer games.

Lately I've been playing Patrician II. Nice little trading game set in northern Europe in the middle ages.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Oskaar,

Know exactly what you mean about the rules thing and the discussions/arguments over which options were in effect and so on... Ruined the game... I never liked D&D after I played a "skill based" system. It seemed rediculous that a person had to become a full fledged thief in order to have his character from some other class be able to hide. The system we used was a modified TFT (The Fantasy Trip) that ended up being a lot like GURPS when it came out later.

Then I got into "realism" a bit. Why did a thief learn to use magical scrolls by stabbing people in the back. So we played Runequest, which was a great game in a great world until Avalon Hill took it over.

Then I got into Roleplaying without worrying about character balance and tried Ars Magica, which was a great system until White Wolf took it over and started making it compatible to Vampire and Werewolf...

My MUD will hopefully have the best of all the systems I have played with over the past 30 years...

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Ahh yes. Whitewolf. I used to play Mage quite a bit. I had a hungarian hooker (it's just a character in a game folks, no evil intent or innuendo to see here, move along) that I was particularly fond of. Nothing beats a game that lets you play a hooker!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
LOL

I had an Assasin/Illusionist (red hair of course) that used to hook for extra cash at low levels. She missed a save on a whimsey trap and shot her three prime requisites up to max, so she was hell on wheels after that. She ran a scam in one of the major cities in my friend's world that spilled over into three other games and caused a inter-world war. She was a real handful! LOL She used to dress as a monk and throw faux healing spells on low level parties while she plundered their coffers and purses. What a b#tch!

We had a great modified version of D&D that we played that worked really well, mana for spellcasters, specialization before the charts came out in D&D, multi-class without the killer restrictions, etc.

But we kind of melded Arduin, D&D, AD&D, Myth and Magic, Dragon Knight, Chivalry, Prindle and a bunch of other RPG gaming systems into what we considered a sensible way to run a game. Why did wizards forget spells after years of studying? Along with all of those other questions like Pewter said above with the thief and such just didn't jibe so we just modified it to begin with and had a great time. Just too many new rules, spells, basic game modifications and sheer volume of reading were the things that killed it for us.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Aggie4You

Worker Bee
Registered Member
Oct 29, 2004
DigitalDruid said:
now I'm back to my normal healthy routine of unreal tournament 2004 and neverwinter nights :)

Is NWN as cool as it looks?

I've been playing the latest rendition of Leisure Suit larry (Magna Cum Laude - Uncensored and uncut) recently. I decided I really didn't like it that much. Before that, it was Cold Zero (a third person shooter). In the past, I've been addicted to Roller Coaster Tycoon, C&C, Baldur's Gate, and a host of other games.

On X-Box, I currently only own three titles. NCAA College Football 2004, NCAA College Football 2005, and Atari Anthology. Mostly, I play NCAA CF 2005.

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
NWN is very fun, I’ve spent many days where I didn’t make it out of my apartment because of it ;)

if I had any complaints it would be that there seems to be a lack of creative ways around things... sure its up to you HOW you slay the millions of little hob goblins, but you will still be mowing through swarms of nasties. Its fun, but can get repetitive.

but then again, some quests are VERY interesting, involving all sorts of clever twists :)

Its a blast, especially when you get some friends in a network game..... we still give one of my friends grief for saying "hey, a cave, lets go in the cave"; the cave was a very bad cave indeed :(

C&C was one of my favs too ;) I played from the original to yuris revenge

mead_monkey

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 22, 2004
all these dice rolling complications are starting to scare me a bit. One of my friends finally convinced me to give it a try, and luckily i don’t know enough of the rules to do anything else but say what i want to do and roll when commanded...

but i can see where the overhead would swamp the fun, hopefully ill stay nice and blissfully ignorant of such things ;)

i need to learn that "you will have to make a horror check if you want to do that" means "dont do that you moron"; that turned out interesting :p

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
On the console front I'm playing Metal Gear Solid 3 right now. Sneaking up on people and snapping necks just never gets old. ;)

Why do all my favorite games involve massive killing? :eek: Hmm... :D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns