• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Concerned about stuff floating on mead

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members

Shah72

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2020
Welcome to GotMead Sourmead!!

As a general rule, resurrecting an 8-year old post from someone who hasn't been active in years is unlikely to get you good answers. Let me suggest that you start a new post, and outline what you used for a recipe with as much detail as you can, and folks may be able to help you with your batch.

Good meading!
Medsen
Hey i cant find post button so writing my issue here. i made 1kg honey in 1.5l nesetle water bottle with sanitized baloon poked with a needle as an airlock. Now after 2 weeks fermentation stoped and i racked the solution to small water bottle having strawberries sugar paste in it. Within few hours white cloud jelly like formed at top and bottom in bottle and small peices are floating. is my mead going good? i cannot attach picture for some reason here is my email waleed.crayons@gmail.com .. DM me and i will send the picture also.Please help me as i dont want to waste my first batch :(

Shah72

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2020
I carved this off to create a new thread.

what type of yeast did you use?
1 kg of honey in 1.5 L makes a very difficult fermentation. Too much honey, not enough water.

what was in the strawberry-sugar paste?
I used bread yeast instant dry. I emptied nestle water bottle to about half then added two 500g honey. Then i shake vigorously for minutes. Then i added raisins gave it a last shake and then tasted the liquid it was very very sweet. So what i did is divided the bottle to half i mean transfer half of the solution to another bottle and the i topped of the two bottles with more water. Then gave it one last shake and added yeast half in one bottle and half sachet in other

Shah72

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2020
I used bread yead. What i did was in a 1.5l bottle, I emptied half of it then added honey 1kg and liquid raised to bottle neck after that i shake vigorously till foam formed. Added raisins and shook again. After which i tasted it and it was hell sweet. So what i did was took another water bottle and transferred half of the honey mix to empty bottleand added nedtle water to both to fill leaving little gap. Then i gave it a shake and added half sachet of instant dry bread yeast in one and half in other water bottle. After few hours i checked and it was bubbling crazy. My current temperature is 30 deg Celcius and i stored the fermentation bottle in kitchen cool cabinets

Shah72

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2020
The strawberry paste include organic strawberry and white sugar with little water. I blended it to paste in a blender

Shah72

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2020
Also i dont have hydrometer here in Pakistan. It would be very kind if i get a reciepie and measurements for 1.5l water bottle. I also cant find campden tablets.

Medsen Fey

Fuselier since 2007
Premium Patron
If you cannot get a hydrometer, you would do well to stick with a proven recipe that you can count on to finish with needing to measure gravity. Joe’s ancient orange would be one, Bray’s one month mead (BOMM) would be another.

To modify Joe’s ancient orange for a 1.5 liter size, you would need to use 650g honey, 1/4 of an orange, 1/2 of a cinnamon stick, and the one clove (which is a lot for such a small batch). That should function in a small batch. Hopefully the clove isn’t overpowering.

Shah72

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 21, 2020
thank you so much. so shall i wait in the mean time? and also can i filter mead with a muslin cloth?

African Bronze Honey - 50% off for GotMead members